Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fillet Knives

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Fillet Knives

I have seen allot of pictures posted here of all the great catches you guys have been making and always somewhere in most of the pictures I see an electric fillet knife.

My question is do they really work and does it save much time when filleting out those slabs that I wish I was catching.

Thinking about getting one for we do have some nice gills in my area but have never personally tried one. There they really that good and how do you sharpen them after filleting all those fish I have been seeing posted on here

Post Thanks / Like

They are nice to have. I mainly use mine for large batches of fish. they will cut your filleting time down cosiderably, once you get used to using one.
    I have owned mine for 4 years, and filleted countless hundreds of fish from catfish and walleyes, to crappie panfish and trout, and have never needed a blade sharpened. I believe you can send the blades back to the manufacturer in most cases, but its not really needed.

I have a Rapala, AC/DC, and the knife is great. I dont like the AC box however, dosent run the blades nearly fast enough. Hook it to a battery though, it works wonderfully.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly910 View Post
    They are nice to have. I mainly use mine for large batches of fish. they will cut your filleting time down cosiderably, once you get used to using one.
    I have owned mine for 4 years, and filleted countless hundreds of fish from catfish and walleyes, to crappie panfish and trout, and have never needed a blade sharpened. I believe you can send the blades back to the manufacturer in most cases, but its not really needed.

I have a Rapala, AC/DC, and the knife is great. I dont like the AC box however, dosent run the blades nearly fast enough. Hook it to a battery though, it works wonderfully.

HB
    Thanks you answered my second question which would have been what is the best brand to get if you want one.

How do you use it around the rib cage of the fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up They are great!!

Doc, I also think the Rapalla 12v-110v are a good knife. If availabe I would get one in straight 12v. Get a little 7 amp. 12v battery, and you are set to fillet anywhere.
    I just filleted 46 gills in 23 min. two days ago. Start slow and work your way up.
    I was used to a regular fillet knife and first time I tried eletric, I wasn't happy with it . The large handle form is clumsy till you get used to it.
    The 6 " curved blades on the Rapalla are neat and I think they are the only ones with 6"
    I keep mine along with battery in a plastic bucket. Whoever designed the case needs a swift kick in parts unknown. lol
    If you fillet any big cats. get a cheap electric kitchen knife. They work the Rapalla too hard. Illinoisgiller
    Illinoisgiller

Post Thanks / Like

HillBilly, I have the Rapala and I have never been satisfied with it, I have always used the AC/DC adaptor and I think it runs too slow also, Thanks for the information about the battery I am going to try that to see if it is better. Doc, I have used an electric knife for about 20 years, my first knife was my mothers electric knife she used in the kitchen all the time, I think you can get a cheap at wally world for about $12 you might try that before you spend alot of money on one, just make sure it fits your hands and try it a couple of times to see if it is for you. (I think you will like it)

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the older American Angler from WM that I have been using for I don't know how many years on everything from red snapper to crappie and have been very happy with it. Gets a little warm at times and I have not been able to find a spare set of the 6" blades which I use for crappie, can find the longer blades which I use for saltwater fish. Don't know how good the newer AA knifes stand up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoisgiller View Post
    Doc, I also think the Rapalla 12v-110v are a good knife. If availabe I would get one in straight 12v. Get a little 7 amp. 12v battery, and you are set to fillet anywhere.
    I just filleted 46 gills in 23 min. two days ago. Start slow and work your way up.
    I was used to a regular fillet knife and first time I tried eletric, I wasn't happy with it . The large handle form is clumsy till you get used to it.
    The 6 " curved blades on the Rapalla are neat and I think they are the only ones with 6"
    I keep mine along with battery in a plastic bucket. Whoever designed the case needs a swift kick in parts unknown. lol
    If you fillet any big cats. get a cheap electric kitchen knife. They work the Rapalla too hard. Illinoisgiller
    Illinoisgiller

does it work well filleting the skin off them as well. How do you get around the ribcage or do you just by pass it all together and just that meaty part on the back above the cage

Really just want to try one for the old fashion way takes way to long when you have allot of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

is this the Rapala one you are referring to if so what is the cost for one of these

Post Thanks / Like

Doc, my 2 cents worth says to buy the Black and Decker brand electric knife at WalMart. It is located in the houseware aisle, near the vacuum sealers. It is $10, comes with 9" blades, and works great! My last one lasted for 15 years before it gave up the ghost. You can also buy new blades for them at BPS of Cabelas.....

As far as going around the rib cage, you don't. You just cut right through it, stop just short of going all the way to the tail, flip over the slab and then filet the meat right off of the skin. Last step is to take a filet knife and cut a "C" around the rib cage to get them out of there. Yes, you can also use the electric knife for this, but my experience is that you don't get any meat.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Crappie View Post
    I have seen allot of pictures posted here of all the great catches you guys have been making and always somewhere in most of the pictures I see an electric fillet knife.

My question is do they really work and does it save much time when filleting out those slabs that I wish I was catching.

Thinking about getting one for we do have some nice gills in my area but have never personally tried one. There they really that good and how do you sharpen them after filleting all those fish I have been seeing posted on here
    Here you go, he is doing it with a knife but the principle is the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQXIbS5Y-Qs

Here is bunch more

YouTube - filet crappie
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast