Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: SOS Suspenders (Auto Inflating)

Post Thanks / Like

Question SOS Suspenders (Auto Inflating)

I plan to crappie fish in the winter and am wondering if the above will keep me afloat wearing insulated cover-alls, insulated boots, and perhaps other layers of clothing. I weigh about 220 pounds and according to info that came with my auto inflating SOS it provides about 37 pounds of floation.
    Any info would certainly be appreciated.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trihull
    I plan to crappie fish in the winter and am wondering if the above will keep me afloat wearing insulated cover-alls, insulated boots, and perhaps other layers of clothing. I weigh about 220 pounds and according to info that came with my auto inflating SOS it provides about 37 pounds of floation.
    Any info would certainly be appreciated.
    Good question. I've been doing a lot of research on these and so far they seem they way to go. But I didn't think about your question. I can't think of anyway of determining that unless we can get a volunteer to put all that stuff on and jump overboard.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Have you ever gone swimming with a three piece suit on? I have but that is another story to tell some other time.
    Oh please tell please tell :D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm reading this right, they will work.
    http://www.boatclarkcounty.org/lifejacket.htm

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I went to Bass Pro in Dallas with my Father-in-Law while we were down there to see my oldest son graduate from college. Pop wanted to purchase the self-inflating Sospenders.

We were fortunate that when we got there there was a rep. there demonstrating the Sospenders. We didn't get to see the main demostration but it consisted of one of the reps, wearing the Sospenders, having his hands behind his back and his feet bound with duct tape. Then he would fall into the pool they have for demos. Within 3 to 5 seconds, I think the rep said, the vest deployed fully and turned the man over face up without him being able to do anything!

He told us that a regular life vest had a certain amount of bouancy, I forgot how much, but 37 lbs. was a whole lot more. Pop weighs 250 lbs. and the guy said he would not have any problems whatsoever.

CATCH A BIG-UN
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

The wife bought me a pair of the auto-inflatinfg sospenders. I had them on in the float tube. I use a Fish Cat#4 and set out of the water a little. Some how I turned my body in the tube and leaned way over to the left retreving a snag. The auto inflate went off and scared the living bejeebees out of me. I was lucky that there was nobody around to witness it. :o :o
    I plan to set them up again for manual operation only. :D Mike

Post Thanks / Like

All that I can say is I hope the 2 on have will hold me up in the winter time. As we wear them in the winter.
    And My guess is that they will work. With the amount of flotation they had 37 lb it should home me up good.
    But may have to put on the gore-TeX and boots and try it out this fall before the water gets 2 cold. Sure would hate to find out in the dead of winter they will not work.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to go to my sister-in-laws pool, dress in my insulated cover-alls and boots, with the SOS and try it out. I plan to try to climb out of the pool with everything on to similuate getting back into my boat. Will let everyone know how this works out, but no one is allowed to have a camera while I am doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trihull
    I plan to go to my sister-in-laws pool, dress in my insulated cover-alls and boots, with the SOS and try it out. I plan to try to climb out of the pool with everything on to similuate getting back into my boat. Will let everyone know how this works out, but no one is allowed to have a camera while I am doing this.
    Oh come on Trihull, this would make an valuable training tool. Go ahead and film it and just think one word "Oscar" :D

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey Trihull, I agree with Moose that this would definitely be the best way to test out the vest. Please let us all know how it goes. Also what model do you have?

Hey I also agree with IBNFSHN that you should go ahead and film it. You could win 10,000 Bucks. :D :D

CATCH A BIG-UN
    Last edited by slabbandit; 08-07-2005 at 10:14 AM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN