Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Guy needs direction

Post Thanks / Like

Question New Guy needs direction

I need some help. Just started fishing recently and not sure what I'm doing. I have Zepco Boss Hawg with 16lb test. I am going fishing on Friday to Nolin near Wax and there is a fair amount of crappie, bluegill and catfish in the area. Just don't want to look stupid, but I really think the line is way too heavy. But, with such a mix of fish and sizes not sure if I should go to a 6 or 8 lb and if I should use live bait or get artificial. What do you all think?

Post Thanks / Like

chrisp,
    welcome aboard. Yea your on the right track. 4-6# for crappie is the ideal line size.
    As far as bait minnows and jigs, can't go wrong in my opinion. Using only one rod may want to pick a species and just fish for that. With jigs you can target both crappie and bluegill. Just get out there and have fun. Good Luck.
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Chrisp ....

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    I need some help. Just started fishing recently and not sure what I'm doing. I have Zepco Boss Hawg with 16lb test. I am going fishing on Friday to Nolin near Wax and there is a fair amount of crappie, bluegill and catfish in the area. Just don't want to look stupid, but I really think the line is way too heavy. But, with such a mix of fish and sizes not sure if I should go to a 6 or 8 lb and if I should use live bait or get artificial. What do you all think?
    I think your line is fine, if you're targeting Bass or Catfish. Depending on the size hook or bait you have on, you may still be OK for Crappie & Bluegill. BUT, that being said ... you might want to consider a smaller pound test line, if you're going to be casting a jig. You might also consider using a smaller pound test line for a leader, if you want to keep the current line on your reel.

As far as bait ... and for a beginner ... I'd stick with minnows, for now. You will need a pack of hooks, some sinkers, and you may possibly want to get a few slip floats and bobber stops.

My suggestions would be :

hooks - #2 bronze Aberdeen light wire
    sinkers - #4 Water Gremlin
    bobber stops - your choice ... rubber or thread
    slip float - Comal Tackle foam floats with peg (you won't need peg, but you might want to get a pack of plastic beads of different sizes)

Wet your line, then ...
    Put the "bobber stop" on your line.
    Put the proper sized bead on second (be sure and get beads with a hole :p .. and you want the bead to be bigger than the hole in the float, and the hole in the bead to be smaller than the bobber stop )
    Put the slip float on.
    Put the hook on.
    Put the sinker on last ... and place it about 4 inches above the hook.

ALWAYS wet the line, before moving the bobber stop up or down the line
    This will keep the bobber stop from curling your line, or the friction from heating & weakening the line.

Set your bobber stop at about 4-6ft deep (depending on how deep the water is ... but, I'm thinking in terms of fishing in 8-10ft of water. Adjust depth accordingly, if water is deeper or shallower ... but, always keep the depth of the hook/bait around 1ft above the depth of the fish or submerged cover.

Put your minnow on the hook, in either of these ways :

Run the hook thru the back of the minnow, under the top back fin, but not below the midline of the minnow (you'll sever the spine, and kill the minnow, if you hook it too far down)

Run the hook BEHIND the eyeballs, trying not to puncture them. There's a membrane that the hook will "pop" thru, and the minnow will be fine.

Run the hook under the bottom of the minnow's throat, and out between the nostril holes.

Starting out ... I'd drop this rig straight down, from the end of the rod, rather than trying to cast or pitch it towards/around cover. You'll have more control, of placing the rig and of setting the hook and pulling the fish out. Don't wait for the float to disappear, set the hook once the float has gone under the surface of the water. And you won't have to jerk hard, either ... just a wrist snap will do, and it will keep you from sending your minnow/float flying into the air (or trees above you) if you don't hook a fish. :D It will also make it easier to free a hung up hook, if you stick the cover, rather than the fish. The lite wire hook will handle some big Crappie, but will also bend open & come free from snags ... even using 4-6lb line. Just bend it back into shape, and continue fishing, if it comes free of the snag. (just don't try and "jerk" a hung hook free ... pull with steady pressure, and if it's gonna come loose ... it will.)

If you're fishing in a water depth that is less than the length of your rod ... you "could" use a pegged float, spring held, or clip on type of float. I suggest a slip float, simply because they are more practical for water depths greater than your rod's length. They're also easier to cast or pitch with, than the stationary types of floats.

Your FIRST priority, is to find out where the fish are and how deep they are .... after doing that, set the depth accordingly, and drop that minnow in their face :p

Try this ... and report back on your results. Once you get the hang of the minnow/float presentation, you'll always have it as a backup. We will discuss the "how to's" of using artificials, in future posts.

This is just "my" advice ... others will have their own to share.

... luck2ya .... cp

And, Welcome to Crappie.com !!

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Indiana

PS
    The coffee pot is on
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights