Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marker buoy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marker buoy?

Im sure this question will get some good laughs! So I just got my fish finder the other day and also got some marker buoys to mark spots as I troll along. My question is how to use them. I see that it has 75' of rope and a small weight, do I just throw the buoy in or do I have to let that weight all the way to the bottom acting as an anchor? Im just wondering, cause in my mind the weight falling to the bottom might scare away possible fish. But just wondering on proper use of the buoy.

Thanks
    Luke

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just throw it in. We locate brush sometimes while running the big motor. That motor doesn't scare them away so that little sinker isn't going to bother them either.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the weight is loose (not attached to the buoy) and the line is ready to spool off, then throw it at/near where you want to mark. The weight will pull the line off the buoy. I do think they scare the fish, so I usually mark a spot, then go elsewhere and return a little later to fish...if pressure allows. Also, I learned not to "mark" exactly where you want to fish. I.e., if you're over a brush pile throw the buoy to the left, right, above, etc. mentally note where the brush is in relation to the buoy. If you drop it right where you want to fish, you will catch the buoy line with regularity. Hope this helps.
    BSRRofl
    Likes Tyson Brown LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok that makes more sense bigsandy, cause it would be a pain in the butt to let all that line out by hand. Thanks

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to help Don Quixote....
    BSRRofl

Post Thanks / Like

i always like to locate the brush and then throw the buoy past the brush pile into the wind. it is easier to hold your position with the trolling motor if you are facing the wind and this way you won,t be getting wrapped up in the marker bouy. the buoys' are weighted and will not unroll once they hit bottom .
    Likes Tyson Brown LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea problem is on my local lake...its too deep for those markers... gonna have to save up and get a darn gps fish finder!
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.
    For the love of Kids and FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Add line

couldn't you just add more line, most of the markers I've seen could easily hold more. By the way, what structure are you marking that's over 75 ft. down?
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

A rock that in my est is about the size of my house... and there are always fish showing up on it.... but that adds to the issue ... not sure if i would ever be able to catch those fish anyways... the rock is about 35 foot high and about 65-70 foot long.. kinda weird to see that on the fish finder when i get a chance i will try to do a recording of it on my finder to show yall... but right on the top are always fish! problem is its in the main part of the lake and its so windy.. that u cant stay on it easly unless u mark it
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-05-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    For the love of Kids and FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

The Catman is right on on this one.
    Allatoona Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast