Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld non-mapping GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Handheld non-mapping GPS

Am looking to get a non-mapping WAAS handheld and am looking for some input as to easy of learning, use, etc. 95% of my fishing is on a 3500 acre lake with-in 2 miles of my home. Most of the shore line is in a state of change which, along with my memory, is making it hard to get back on my line-ups. I'm getting well along in years which means it hard to teach me new tricks. Just bearly can use my DVD, VCR etc. so I'm looking for one that will be easy to learn. Am looking at the Lowrance ifinder Go, about $100, the Magellan explorist 100, about $95, and 2 Garmin's, the GPS-72, about $150 and the Etrex Venture, about $135. Any input from those who might have any of these? The GPS-72 got the highest marine rating of the 4 units of 3 stars out of 5 at the GPSSTORE. They give the best ratings to mapping units. I figure they are the hardest to learn plus they are more expensive.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 08-05-2005 at 10:00 AM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Can't comment on the others, but I do have a little Garmin hand-held
    (non WAAS) and it is easy to use - from all I've heard or seen, you wouldn't
    go wrong with a Garmin. Jeff
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Gps

I used a etrex by garmin 99.95 ---one of the easyest to use there is --sold it and bought a gps76s--wished I had the etrex back --the only thing I use is the go-to and the e-trex did that great
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

if you are getting on up in years you might want to make sure you can read the screen okay - I am 45 and I just had to get my first set of bifocals to read with and I got the Garmin 76 because the screen is a little larger and easier to read with my glasses on
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes I am well up in years, 71, and I went to Wal-mart this morning and looked at the screen size and the Garmin 72 screen is a lot bigger than the others so that is the one I am leaning toward. I can get it from Amozon for $123 with free shipping. Do you that have the mapping units get a lot of use from the map function? Seems like it would be a lot more useful in saltwater and on very large freshwater lake. Don't believe it would be of much use to me. The 76 is $184.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Garmin GPS last week #72. Still playing with it trying to get the hang of the thing. Crazy thing can't remember which button to push end up with a bunch of waypoints that I didn't put there. Of course it took me 6 months to learn how to turn the PC on. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I use mine on the lakes and it helps alot but I do fish the NC Coast alot and that is what I bought it for - I do have some brush piles and and secret holes marked on mine from the lake
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have another question, I was reading on a GPS forum, it was a car type forum, and in an answer to one of the questions it was stated that if you saved a waypoint and went back the next day, non-WAAS, you might be off about 20 feet and if you went back a week later you may be off 50 feet. Anyone had that problem? If so I would think that every time I went back to my stump it would be best to re-enter that waypoint position. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, sort of. I started using GPS, or should I say trying to use it, back
    in about '97, when SA was still in effect, for those of you who don't remember
    it, it made gps about useless for locating fishing spots, unless you had
    a differential beacon receiver. Long story, obsolete stuff now I guess.
    Still got my dbr, but hardly ever use it now, after SA was done away with.
    I am not up to speed on WAAS, know sort of what it is, but don't have
    compatible equipment. But to answer your question, it can be off quite
    a bit, and the amount of error (and direction!) from day to day varies.
    Fighting uphill against SA, mine used to be off several hundred feet sometimes. I would not THINK the error would get cumlatively worse over
    time, but again, I am no expert. Maybe some rocket scientist can answer
    better, also wish they could tell me some stuff about WAAS - Is it available
    (the coverage) nationwide, 24/7? And how does it stack up in real world
    against my beacon receiver?
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

I have a magellan gps unit that i like verry well and it's also verry easy to operate. one thing that you might want to look for is a unit that is completly waterproof. most fo the magellan units are, and they will also float if you drop them overboard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast