Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Got the rod, Now what?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got the rod, Now what?

I just got a new 10' B&M Sam Heaton Signature Jig pole
    I have been using my old 10' fly rod I've had since I finished school in 1973. I figured I was due for something new. (But I ain't getting rid of my fly rod) I can't describe how good this B&M feels. I don't want to compromise the feel by putting the wrong line and reel with it. Anybody out there got one and may have some suggestions?
    Thanks.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I also love it

Deacon,

I too fish with this rod. you are right, it could be the best rod I have ever used. A word of advice though. *The part of the rod where the two pieces join together is very fragile. I recently broke mine by getting stuck in a bush and pulling a little too hard to try to get unstuck and had to order a new one, but it is still a great rod. After using my first on, I will never use a different rod again. I use a Pflueger Micro Underspin reel with #4 test SpiderWire Super Mono EZ Line. This line wears good and is very strong. Hope this helps.

basinfisher

Post Thanks / Like

How much are these rods?
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

sacalait steve

i beleive i paid about $42 for it from Bass Pro Shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you , I will look at Deacon's and decide if I'll get one.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Default B&M jig pole.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I just got a new 10' B&M Sam Heaton Signature Jig pole
    I have been using my old 10' fly rod I've had since I finished school in 1973. I figured I was due for something new. (But I ain't getting rid of my fly rod) I can't describe how good this B&M feels. I don't want to compromise the feel by putting the wrong line and reel with it. Anybody out there got one and may have some suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Deacon......I have a rig similar to your new B&M, same brand but not a signature Sam H. The reel I use is a Shimano mod.# AXUL S spinning reel, and it's a good match weight wise. I like to have a neutral balance at the grip and the Shimano perfectly balances it. This reel has ball bearings, which I like, and is spooled with 6lb gold. But I ain't going to give up my 'ol composite fly rod either! I feel like I was born with it in my hand. BTW, I use a Shimano reel on it too, but a slightly larger one to balance the heavier glass and graphite composite. I haven't found a better reel for the price, and they have served well for years. Hope you find this of some use, and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Deacon......I have a rig similar to your new B&M, same brand but not a signature Sam H. The reel I use is a Shimano mod.# AXUL S spinning reel, and it's a good match weight wise. I like to have a neutral balance at the grip and the Shimano perfectly balances it. This reel has ball bearings, which I like, and is spooled with 6lb gold. But I ain't going to give up my 'ol composite fly rod either! I feel like I was born with it in my hand. BTW, I use a Shimano reel on it too, but a slightly larger one to balance the heavier glass and graphite composite. I haven't found a better reel for the price, and they have served well for years. Hope you find this of some use, and good luck!
    I want to thank all of you for the replys. Sacalait Steve the rod is right at $42.00 before tax.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    I want to thank all of you for the replys. Sacalait Steve the rod is right at $42.00 before tax.

Deacon........Just curious to know what reel you decided on for your new crappie stick. There are so many reels to choose from now it's hard to make a choice and get it right the first time. When I first started crappie fishing I just used the fly reel with 6 lb. mono tied to the fly line, and it worked good untill I finally bought a reel more suited to the application. Hope your rig turned out to your satisfaction. Good fishing......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Deacon........Just curious to know what reel you decided on for your new crappie stick. There are so many reels to choose from now it's hard to make a choice and get it right the first time. When I first started crappie fishing I just used the fly reel with 6 lb. mono tied to the fly line, and it worked good untill I finally bought a reel more suited to the application. Hope your rig turned out to your satisfaction. Good fishing......
    Labill,
    I have the fly reel that came as a promotion with the rod. It serves more as a line holder than fish retriever. I put 10# Spider Wire on the reel. The reason being, You can feel everything going on down on the bait end of the line. Now, having used it the last two trips I have the following comments. My first trip using the rod , reel and Spider Wire (SW) rig-up I was fishing they way I am used too doing (Tight-lining) It worked well and I was really satisfied.
    Yesterday I went and fished different waters and had the need to use a bobber at a fixed depth. The rod, reel and SW combination did not work as well with the bobber. The line would get caught at the end of the pole every time I would twitch the bobber. SO! I will use the combination for tight lining and get another rig-up for casting with a bobber.