Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kentucky lake questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky lake questions

Hey boys, I've got a few questions regarding KY lake. I'm looking to go gill/redear fishing down there in May. I've got a buddy up here, Jeffersonville, IN., that just tears up the big redear..I've seen the pictures.

I've never been there and do I need a guide or not? Are cabin rentals reasonable or would I be better off just pitching a tent? Do they rent boats?? My boats way to small and I'd have to rent a boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Hey boys, I've got a few questions regarding KY lake. I'm looking to go gill/redear fishing down there in May. I've got a buddy up here, Jeffersonville, IN., that just tears up the big redear..I've seen the pictures.

I've never been there and do I need a guide or not? Are cabin rentals reasonable or would I be better off just pitching a tent? Do they rent boats?? My boats way to small and I'd have to rent a boat.
    You don't have to have a guide if you do your homework. If you can afford a guide, then you'll spend less time searching and more time fishing. You can do a search to find out more about cabins and stuff. I hear they are pretty reasonable, especially if you are sharing the costs with someone. If you are brave enough to put a tent out on the LBL side, your small boat may be fine if you camp in one of the larger bays. When the water isn't rough, you could move up and down the lake on that side. There are tons of bays that hold big gills and crackers to boot. Good luck to you guys, you'll probably see me out there. I love the bluegill and shellcrackers in late April and May.
    "Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson

Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested PM me and I will tell you about a spot on barkley where catch redear and bluegill all day long. I watched a guy and his granddaughter land over 100 various fish, mostly gills, in one afternoon while we were fishing flooded cypress trees for bass. This spot is my honeyhole when I decide to make the trip down there.
    My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/xibowhunter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Redear and gills

hey redearhoosier. I know that Big Bear and KY Dam Marina both rent fishing boats. Moors Resort may, not certain though. Cant help with the cabins. Big Bear has both cabins and camoground. I am sure pitching a tent would be cheaper. For more info go toKentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and Land Between the Lakes As far as a guide, cant help there. I agree that if you do you will fish more. personally I start with the stake beds in the back of the bays and then move to the pea gravel banks. Also bays with grass in them are good. Hope this helps. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I camp at Hillman Ferry every year. You could get away with a small boat there (as mepperson said). There is lots of good access from the LBL. I like camping so it works for me. We've caught plenty of fish in Pisga Bay and some of the sites are right on the water.
    I've also stayed at Kenlake State Park. It was pretty nice but the cabins aren't right on the water. I think there alot of the places where you could use a small boat near cabins.
    Have fun if you go, it's a great place.

Post Thanks / Like

If you stay around the north end of the lake there are a ton of resorts and campgrounds that would offer the services you are looking for try kentuckylake.com. Also that whole area around big bear/moors and bee springs to cozy cove there are endless pea gravel banks and long deep points both main and secondary. You can almost start at any of those locations and keep your line wet and cover water without making a long run so a little boat would be ideal. Expecially if the redears are on bed...you can almost sight fish them.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the responses, I've just got to make my mind up if we're going or not. I've read some good articles about the shellcracker down there and I'm itching to try it out. They say they're lots of two pound crackers in there.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the responses, I've just got to make my mind up if we're going or not. I've read some good articles about the shellcracker down there and I'm itching to try it out. They say they're lots of two pound crackers in there.
    There's a few less there after last years trip. :D Me and T O did pretty darn good last may. Here's a couple pics of last years trip.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a local taxidermist near KY Lake. If there were "lots" of 2 pounders showing up, my freezers would be full of them. I wouldn't make a trip down thinking I was going to catch a 2 pounder any more than I would go to Florida thinking I was going to catch a 12 pound bass. There are lots of good quality redears with an OCCASIONAL 2 pounder showing up.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I'm a local taxidermist near KY Lake. If there were "lots" of 2 pounders showing up, my freezers would be full of them. I wouldn't make a trip down thinking I was going to catch a 2 pounder any more than I would go to Florida thinking I was going to catch a 12 pound bass. There are lots of good quality redears with an OCCASIONAL 2 pounder showing up.
    I agree w/ mrdux......I catch a lot of redear in April and May, but 2 pounders are not all over the place. I catch a few every year, but I'd say I have maybe (1) for every 300 - 400 I catch. Lots of people say they are catching 2 pounders when they are actually 1 1/2 lbs, which are darn nice redear. However, there are lots of nice ones in the lake. Good luck.... just wouldn't want you to make a long drive and be disappointed.