Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Perch?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch?

Any of you guys ever catch a perch from Ky or Barkley while crappie fishing? I have heard they are great to eat.
    My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/xibowhunter

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught a few little bitty ones while bluegill fishing. They weren't big enough to fillet. I've eaten a bunch of them up around the Great Lakes, though. They're good.

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing the Northern part of Kentucky Lake week before last and caught (2) of them. I asked a friend about them, he's a local that lives near the lake , and he said they were great to eat, but I had already released them. I asked him if there was a size limit on them, and he said that he did'nt think that there was.

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow Perch are one of the best tasting Fish I have eaten. I lived in Milwaukee near Lake Michigan and regularly caught Yellow Perch between 12" & 15". You would think we were Walleye fishing. Moved to Kentucky 2 years ago for health reasons and sure miss that easy access fishing.
    I know this is not much help but when you posted about Perch I started remembering those Perch we get up north.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Bowhunter View Post
    Any of you guys ever catch a perch from Ky or Barkley while crappie fishing? I have heard they are great to eat.
    Yes, there are some nice one's in KY Lake. I caught one full of eggs last week. Me and Fishtale (aka Buschog) usually will catch a few while bluegill fishing. Last year he caught one that may have been the state record but we didn't know until after it was filleted up. Here it is beside the sauger which were over 14 inches. The pics do not do the fish justice. We ate them and they were GOOD!. They are very similar fish, in the same family (Percidae) and both taste great.

"Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson

Post Thanks / Like

Dem saugers got devil eyes!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mepperson View Post
    Yes, there are some nice one's in KY Lake. I caught one full of eggs last week. Me and Fishtale (aka Buschog) usually will catch a few while bluegill fishing. Last year he caught one that may have been the state record but we didn't know until after it was filleted up. Here it is beside the sauger which were over 14 inches. The pics do not do the fish justice. We ate them and they were GOOD!. They are very similar fish, in the same family (Percidae) and both taste great.

that is some fine eating (and drinking) you've got laying on that table. Did those sauger come from the tailwaters?
    My YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/xibowhunter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xi Bowhunter View Post
    that is some fine eating (and drinking) you've got laying on that table. Did those sauger come from the tailwaters?
    Nope, right from Blood River near the mouth....Caught them trolling crankbaits at the end of the summer I think.
    "Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson