Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Mount

Just got an email from a client with a picture of a 16-inch crappie he'd had mounted. I thought it turned out real well - looks just like it did when it came out of the water. Here's the live fish:

And the mount:

I was surprised that it was done so fast - fish was caught June 23rd.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

That looks good. lol
    Today is a great day

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great, any word on where the fish was done? Is that a skin mount or repro?

Post Thanks / Like

That is an excellent mount! I would take my business to who ever did that. Very nice work indeed! Nice fish too BTW!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default wall hanger

Quote Originally Posted by crappie66
    That looks great, any word on where the fish was done? Is that a skin mount or repro?
    This is a skin mount done by a local taxidermist in Omaha, NE. I have obtained permission to give his name and number. His name is John Prentis and he can be reached at 402-455-1830. He has done several crappies for me. He pays special attention to coloring the fish correctly, male, female, white or black, tuxedo on, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, that looks really great and really like a crappie, lol. I know a guy who caught a 4lb. crappie (if I remember correctly) on Ouachita several years ago and the taxidermist dressed it like a bass. Wonder if he would do my mount project I told you about at a more reasonable price. Plus, how in the world did he get the skin dried enough for painting so quickly?
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized I had a better picture of the live fish and replaced the one in the orginal post.

I thought it took a lot longer to cure the skin too but I guess not for a good taxidermist.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mount

Awesome mount! I've got to get me one of those!!! :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default wall hanger

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris
    wow, that looks really great and really like a crappie, lol. I know a guy who caught a 4lb. crappie (if I remember correctly) on Ouachita several years ago and the taxidermist dressed it like a bass. Wonder if he would do my mount project I told you about at a more reasonable price. Plus, how in the world did he get the skin dried enough for painting so quickly?
    John tells me that the skin can dry in two weeks or less. John has been doing projects for me since 2000. They all have maintained their original quality. No grease bleed through, no shrinkage, no paint fade, etc.

I have been told that a warm water fish mount cures much faster than a cold water pike, lake trout, etc., because the skin is so oily on the cold water species.

John is also very creative with multiple fish mounts, stump mounts, brush mounts, etc. He mounted 5 crappies on a creative piece of driftwood with weeds for me. I used different sized fish from 12" to 15". Some males with their tuxedo on, and some females. It looks like a small school in the brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie mounts

Quote Originally Posted by smallmouthking
    This is a skin mount done by a local taxidermist in Omaha, NE. I have obtained permission to give his name and number. His name is John Prentis and he can be reached at 402-455-1830. He has done several crappies for me. He pays special attention to coloring the fish correctly, male, female, white or black, tuxedo on, etc.
    Here are a couple more examples of John's work.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast