Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: looking for some input

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for some input

As some of you know, my wife Jody and I have taken on some challenges with rescue GSP's. (German Shorthair Pointers)

We have placed all of these dogs in homes of people that we have become close friends with. They have been homes that bring out the best in this breed. Homes that take the dogs and hunt them.

We have been considering a little different avenue with these beautiful rescue dogs. The idea that we came up with is to find a young boy or girl that would love one of these dogs, and mentor them on the training and responsibilities of owning a dog.

Teach these kids along with their parents participation. After going through the training the dog is theirs to keep. Granted there would need to be some ground rules. Both the child and the parents would have to demonstrate that they can take on the responsibility and have a home and yard that will accomodate one of these dogs.

As many of you know, Jody and I are actively involved in NAVHDA and also enjoy hunting our dogs. With the decline of youth in the hunting sports, we thought this would be a fantastic way to get kids involved in this.

We are looking at local Rod and Gun clubs for potential candidates as well as the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts.

Obviously, there will be liability issues that we and our insurance man will need to cover, but we would appreciate any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Hogan, I like the sound of the program, it could increase interest in hunting as well as making sure the adopting family is prepared to handle all that a GSP brings. Sounds like a winner for everyone.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great program!!!!! I'd hate to have your insurance costs though. And to give kids and some parents a way to work together and teach the kids responsibility that's a rare thing these days.

When my son adopted our akc black lab I was hoping for a hunting dog but as bad as she was abused the first time she heard the shotgun go off she hit the deck and just whined big time and never pushed it again, she had already been through enough.

Good luck and keep us all updated cause it sounds like a great program.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Your plan sounds like a winner. These days it's really hard to get a family together to do anything so by forcing (incouraging) the family to work together you may make/save a family from breaking up.

When I'm out in public, very often with one of our dogs, people will comment how well mannered they are and that maybe that's the breed they should get because their old( fill in the breed) was a wild thing. People don't realize that dogs and kids are much alike, you need to train them how to act both in public and at home.
    Your plan will teach kids responsibilty, a work ethic, how to love, loyality.....Can you tell I really like your plan!!
    Remmmber what Dog spells backward. Ever wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like

Truthfully scooper I think it's because the dogs deserve to go upstairs more than some humans do

Fatman