Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transporting crappie???

Question for you guys, and I know someone out there has an answer! My buddy has a nice little pond and he wants to stock it up with crappie and get a nice little population going on. We are going fishing sat. but where we fish is about 45 min. from his pond we are wanting to take the crappie to. So basically I need a way to transport the crappie we catch and get them there alive (at least most of them, ones that don't will be dinner). I was thinkin like a cooler with a little ice in it and water but I have no clue. Any tips???

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The ice will help, but you should find a battery op. aerator to replenish the oxygen too.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I always leave mine in the livewell they will last all day long as it,s not real hot or you could get a trash can that will hold enough water main thing don,t let the water get to warm. You should be fine in that time frame .

Post Thanks / Like

Question first is how big is the pond, most ponds are not suitable for crappie unless they are relatively large.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Wal-Mart and get an aerator like one in the link below. I have kept a lot of fish alive with this thing. The first time I did it, I fished a lake about 2 hrs from home and used a 48 qt cooler and a bag of ice. DO NOT open the bag since the ice water will have chlorine in it and it will kill fish. Other times I would keep fish in the livewell in my old boat. Never lost a fish. However don't put too many crappie in a pond and keep as many you catch or else they will take over.

Fish Saver Portable Aerator

Post Thanks / Like

Big ice chest or trash can. I use ice to cool the water down if need to. I would think that as long as you don't have to many they should be ok for a 45 min ride.

How are you gonna keep them before the ride home?
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

dont have a live well in my boat (little 12 ft. john boat). So my options are limited to coolers and 5 gal. buckets. And the pond is a decent size, well over an acre and is very deep in parts 16-18 ft.So a cooler with some ice and water should get a majority of fish there in 45 min???

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Crappieseeker.Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Typical recommendation is anything less than 100 acres is too small for crappie.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When stocking Crappie in a pond use Black ones the Whites breed too fast.
    If you do cool the water with ice , temper them slowly . If you change temps up or down too sudden they can die of shock.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast