Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-line question

Post Thanks / Like

Default P-line question

Anybody have any comments on 6 pound P-Line Original? I noticed today that the diameter is smaller than other 6 pound lines. Most others were around .09...inches, but the P-line 6 pound was .073 something inches. But before I bought any I wanted to hear any comments you professionals had on it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking p line

i am bo x pert but i have tried it in 6# test on my u/l spinning reel and did not care 4 it it didnt spool right and as far it being stong it is better than that spider wire but i stopped using it after a few trips and went back to stren clear/blue 6# tilene 6# is also good but i like stren so maybe 1 of the real pros can help u out
    :p keep it wet
    take a kid fishing
    born to fish
    forced to work :p

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried it too, and wound up throwing it away.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Well I wish I had heard all this bad news about P-Line before I bought mine. LOL I have not tried mine out yet. Just got some the other night and have not used it yet. But from the sound of everyone elses posts I have a feeling that I may not like it either.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't consider myself to be a professional but I would like to comment on this. I think any time you can increase your pound test and still maintain a smaller line diameter your better off. Let me explain.

I only think this is important in a casting situation or gin clear water. And I am not so sure that this is even important in the clearer water. I have read of one crappie guide in Tenn.(Gary Mason) who actually uses a chartreuse colored line. He believes that the chartreuse line actually catches the attention of the crappie then they see the lure in time to react. It has been said by many of his clients that he easily could prove his theory by catching 2 to 1 over clients using clear line.

I don't really have any experience with real clear water but one thing I always say when talking about this subject is that if the nylon string on a yo-yo or a trotline drop doesn't spook a crappie no fishing line will!

Back to the other part of my reply, the casting situation, I do have a lot of experience with this. I have found that the smaller diameter lines sink better and stay down better than the larger diameter lines.

I don't have any real preference on line colors yet but sometimes I sure like being able to see my line twitch. Sometimes this is how I first detect the strike. For this reason I think I am going to give the chartreuse lines a try.

One thing very important too me is that my choice of line have a very low memory and cast extremely well.

Although I am a fan of smaller diameter lines for casting I think they are not really necessary for vertical jigging or spider rigging. By the same token just because I like small diameter lines for casting I am not a fan of the braided superlines for casting for crappie. I believe due to the tender mouth of the crappie a line with a mild to moderate amount of stretch should be used.

CATCH A BIG-UN
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

No more P-Line for me.. It's strong for it's size, but I never could get it to spool onto my reel without it twisting. I found it to be a real pain in the A... So I gave away two spools

I do believe in the hi-vis lines though. Remember, the line is the only thing between you and the fish, so if it's going to be more than a couple of days before I go again, I change it out. Always fresh line on the spool and no memory to worry about.. As a hold, line is cheap...

Gerald K4NHN
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

For those who did not like the way it spooled, are you refering to P-line Original? I noticed there are several different kinds of P-line. I have always had problems getting the flourocarbon stuff to spool properly. Thanks for the comments guys. And I do agree with bandit on the smaller diameter points he made. I mostly cast for crappie so I get excited whenever I can find a line that has a smaller diameter to pound test ratio.

deerman Guest

I believe in P-line all the way........i have had a few problems with it twisting but when you fish with a spin cast reel your gonna have that problem or atleast i do......one other thing with using P-line is when you get hung up with it........its the hardest stuff i ever seen to break...........but i do also use other brands of line also...sten and trilene are also in my tackle box....

Post Thanks / Like

The spooling properly aspect of any line is very important to me. I use opened faced spinning reels almost exclusively for catching crappie.

It's early in the morning right now and I am without my first cup of coffee. I intend to go back to sleep in a few min. Just found that the computer was still on and before shutting it off I had a few things to do with it. One of those was to check crappie.com LOL.

I have been spooling some new lines on some new spinning reels these last few weeks.

I have one line that I put on a new reel. Now this reel is not an ultralight. I bought a larger diamtered reel to check out some new line and to see how the reel abor's diameter effected the way the line spooled on the reel. I am trying some Vanish or Vanish Transistion line on this new reel and I noticed that it seemed to have a memory and the coils wanted to spring off. ie it was not wrapping tightly onto the spools arbor. I'll know more about this after I use this combination some more.

I still have the P-Line in the box and have not spooled it up yet. But I will do that someday.

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    For those who did not like the way it spooled, are you refering to P-line Original? I noticed there are several different kinds of P-line. I have always had problems getting the flourocarbon stuff to spool properly. Thanks for the comments guys. And I do agree with bandit on the smaller diameter points he made. I mostly cast for crappie so I get excited whenever I can find a line that has a smaller diameter to pound test ratio.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

No good on a spool IMO. I Carolina rig my tightline rods cause when the bite is hot and heavy you can clip on a new leader alot faster than tying on a new hook. I use the 6lb P-line for the leaders and it works fine.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast