PDA

View Full Version : Jerking my Chain ??? Need Advice - Can I put line on backwards?

Bonehead
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the GREAT welcome over the past couple of days. He is my question that I need help with from my new friends here on Crappie.com.....

A guy I work with and I were talking and I told him that I switched to a new 8 lb mono line on my poles and after just one outing I pulled every bit off of all 5 poles because it was tangling up inside the bell my Zebco 11 reels, as well as tangling up on the end of my 12' poles, out near the end of the pole. One interesting note - as the string was coming out of my reel it still had the "twist" or looping look to it.... The guy here at work told me that the reason this occured was because I spooled the line on these reels "backwards"..... Now my question to my new experienced friends here is - Is he pulling my leg or can you actually spool line backwards. And if you can spool line "backwards" how do you know when you are spooling it correctly.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.... I have been fishing now for about 5 years and this is the first time I have ever heard this one... And by the way - this guy who told me this is known for messin with folks....

deathb4disco
04-02-2009, 04:17 PM
You can definitely put line on going in the wrong direction. If you search the archives, you'll find a bunch of "how to spool" threads. Basically, lay the spool on the floor and wind a few feet of line on. If the line looks "coily" as you do this, flip the spool over and try it that way.

Also, the Zebco 11 has a very small spool which does not help matters.

Bonehead
04-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Well - there I go.... I appreciate your quick reply and comments. Never knew this could happen.... Learned me something new today.... Now I am gonna go impress my wife with this new found knowledge....One more quick question - Do you normally insert something thru the center of the spool and unwind it that way or do you lay it on the floor and allow the line to come off of the spool in a un-coiling fashion?

deathb4disco
04-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Do you normally insert something thru the center of the spool and unwind it that way or do you lay it on the floor and allow the line to come off of the spool in a un-coiling fashion?

Depends on the reel. Most of my reels are Daiwas and Shimanos. They both have oscillation and anti-twist systems built into them. Because of that, they recommend that you do NOT do what I said to do above. They recommend you put a pencil through the spool and put the line on just like you would with a baitcaster.

On my non-Daiwa/Shimano reels, I just put the spool on the floor.

CrappiePumba
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Ive heard if when your spooling your line onto the reels you have to have the sticker facing up otherwise it will tangle more. I always do it that way and have no issues. I also have a zebco 33 and a shakespear closed face reel and always seem to have issues with the line no matter how you spool it.

waterboy1
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
He's not messing with you this time, yes you can put the line on wrong. Mono will take a set after it has been on a spool for awhile. Two more things to remember, use good line, spray line with a line conditioner such as Keven Van Dams to help keep line limp and free of line loops.

deathb4disco
04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Ive heard if when your spooling your line onto the reels you have to have the sticker facing up otherwise it will tangle more.

If I'm using this method, I always start with the sticker face up. That usually works. If it doesn't, I just flip it over.

I always do it that way and have no issues. I also have a zebco 33 and a shakespear closed face reel and always seem to have issues with the line no matter how you spool it.

In my experience, the better the reel, the better the line goes on and comes off. That's one of the things you're paying for with a better reel. I don't buy a reel unless it has a good oscillation system and some type of "twistbuster" feature. My Daiwas and Shimanos have perfect line lay. The line is so even, it looks like a spool of thread. Consequently, I get very few twists and tangles.

For the record, these are the reels I use most often:

Daiwa Tierra 3000
Shimano Symetre 2500 and 4000
Daiwa SS 700

tritonman
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Bone, if your reel does not have the anti twist feature, put the line on with the spool laying flat and bring your line straight up off the spool then spray with a conditioner. This has worked for me, hope it helps.

Bonehead
04-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks Guys (I call everyone guys so Ladies please do not be offended) for your comments. Dang - Line Conditioner - I guess I have been under a rock toooo long... Gonna get me some of this and I am also going to start looking at higher quality reels. Might have to buy one a year for now and upgrade accordingly.

foul hook
04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Yes to your question. Some of the low end imported line will kink regardless. Try trilene XL line in 6# on that small reel and you will like it much better. If you upgrade your reel just a touch you will like it even more. No POO!

TAE73
04-02-2009, 10:24 PM
If you did its a easy fix, next time cut the hook off start letting line in the water put the boat in gear and idle away, let all the line out. This will get all the twist out of the line, put the eye of the rod under water and reel with tension on the line. Works everytime for me.

slimeyslab
04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
If you did its a easy fix, next time cut the hook off start letting line in the water put the boat in gear and idle away, let all the line out. This will get all the twist out of the line, put the eye of the rod under water and reel with tension on the line. Works everytime for me.I do the same thing and it works great. If your not on the water you can have someone hold your line and walk away from them with your bail open until it is all out, have them let go, and then pinch your line just above the reel and reel it back in. It will remove alot of the twist.

Eager Beaver
04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Also you can get a can of Reel Magic and spray your line on the spool and this will help relax the coils. Also spray the rod and guides with it too and it will help you to cast farther. I always have a can handy and spray my line on the spool and rods every so often if I think I am getting some memory in the line. When your line is coming off the spool and is coiled that is line memory and that is what is bad, because after a few cast, a bunch of line will come off all at once and then you sometimes have to cut a bunch of it off. EB

smoothlures
04-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Have to echo what's been said, and will add don't use cheap line, use the higher end stuff, or at least the name brand line!

backtocrappie
04-03-2009, 06:49 AM
I bought one of those exact same Zebco 11 rod/reel combo's for my 6 year old. Dang thing has been problematic ever since. It will NOT cast a bobber stop, I tie on my own with kite string, nice tight small knot, still have to take off the front cover and pull it through. It isn't designed for more than #6 test, but I haven't had any trouble with the Stren I use on it. The truth about this reel is that it just isn't high quality, it's a production unit made for the masses.

toothpick
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I sometimes have kinks regardless. When I do, I tie a large snap-swivel to the end of my line and then snap it on to a fixed object and begin walking away from it with the reel bail open or with closed face reels, with the trigger released. I walk as far away as I can and then hold my rod tip high and begin reeling and walk at a pace commensurate with the amount of line being taken up. The swivel will take all twist out. I am a believer in Reel Majic Spray.

ERNEST PATY
04-05-2009, 08:06 PM
If you get to the lake and have twisted line you can fix it by dragging it behind the boat for about 10 min. without a lure or anything on it. Just let out a bunch of line and go. the water will unwind the twist and when you reel it in it should be OK.

JimmyCricket
04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Bonehead

Yes! you can definetly put the line on your reel "backwards"

With spinning reels and spincast reels (like zebco 11) you need to lay the spool of line flat on the floor...label facing up for spinning and label down for spincast reels. This will be correct 99% of the time...every so often for some reason or another it will be the oppisite, so you should always test it when you begin to fill the reel. The way you check is you tie your line to your spool and then lay spool flat on floor and stand with your rod tip over the spool as you begin to wind it on...after about 20 or 30 turns of the handle stop and dip the tip of your rod down to test it...if it is going on your reel in the same direction its coming off the spool it will lay limp when you give it slack. If it goes into a twist, then just reach down flip the spool over to the over side and continue to wind the line on again. Stop and test it again after another 20 turns or so and the line should now lay limp this time letting you know its going on correctly. no need to strip the reel and start over the part that was twisted in the begining will be deep in the spool beyond casting range.

Never hold the spool of line up the narrow way with a pencil when dealing with spinning and spincast. You can test this by having a buddy hold it that way while you wind the reel, and then stop and take a few steps towards each other and you will see the line go into twisted mess.
The only reels you can put line on with the pencil method with spool the narrow way is revolving spool reels such as baitcast reels.

Some other posters mentioned anti twist features on some reels, these features help keep twist out of your line while your using it...they have no effect on keeping twist out when you are spooling the reel for the first time.

The suggestions for letting your line play out while you idle along on the water for a few minutes and then winding it back on will usually untwist a twisted line.

Some other suggestions I would like to add:

zebco 11 spincast comes factory spooled with 4lb test. You can usually go up one line size without any problems, but 8lb may be a little stiff and not function as well on that particular reel. Reels do function better with the line size they were engernieered for, so its a good idea to stay in the same range.

Also people tend to fill thier spincast reels too full. Since the line is hidden behind the reel's cover they often dont know what a factory filled spool looks like...stop by a tackle shop or walmart (if you must LOL) and remove the cover from a zebco 11 and see the proper amount of line.

Even when spooled on right, line twist will develop over time. The worst culprit is reeling against the drag. When a fish is making your drag slip try and stop reeling until the drag stops slipping...you will twist the heck out of the line if you continue to reel while the line is slipping from the spool. Its a hard habit to break, because I am asking you to have self control while you have a crappie big enough to make your drag slip :O)

I would really encourage you to switch from spincast to spinning reels because they do have better systems to fight against line twist once the line has been spooled on correctly. But of course fish the tackle you enjoy.

Jimmy