Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerking my Chain ??? Need Advice - Can I put line on backwards?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jerking my Chain ??? Need Advice - Can I put line on backwards?

Thanks everyone for the GREAT welcome over the past couple of days. He is my question that I need help with from my new friends here on Crappie.com.....

A guy I work with and I were talking and I told him that I switched to a new 8 lb mono line on my poles and after just one outing I pulled every bit off of all 5 poles because it was tangling up inside the bell my Zebco 11 reels, as well as tangling up on the end of my 12' poles, out near the end of the pole. One interesting note - as the string was coming out of my reel it still had the "twist" or looping look to it.... The guy here at work told me that the reason this occured was because I spooled the line on these reels "backwards"..... Now my question to my new experienced friends here is - Is he pulling my leg or can you actually spool line backwards. And if you can spool line "backwards" how do you know when you are spooling it correctly.

Thanks for your comments and feedback.... I have been fishing now for about 5 years and this is the first time I have ever heard this one... And by the way - this guy who told me this is known for messin with folks....

Post Thanks / Like

You can definitely put line on going in the wrong direction. If you search the archives, you'll find a bunch of "how to spool" threads. Basically, lay the spool on the floor and wind a few feet of line on. If the line looks "coily" as you do this, flip the spool over and try it that way.

Also, the Zebco 11 has a very small spool which does not help matters.

Post Thanks / Like

Well - there I go.... I appreciate your quick reply and comments. Never knew this could happen.... Learned me something new today.... Now I am gonna go impress my wife with this new found knowledge....One more quick question - Do you normally insert something thru the center of the spool and unwind it that way or do you lay it on the floor and allow the line to come off of the spool in a un-coiling fashion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Do you normally insert something thru the center of the spool and unwind it that way or do you lay it on the floor and allow the line to come off of the spool in a un-coiling fashion?

Depends on the reel. Most of my reels are Daiwas and Shimanos. They both have oscillation and anti-twist systems built into them. Because of that, they recommend that you do NOT do what I said to do above. They recommend you put a pencil through the spool and put the line on just like you would with a baitcaster.

On my non-Daiwa/Shimano reels, I just put the spool on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard if when your spooling your line onto the reels you have to have the sticker facing up otherwise it will tangle more. I always do it that way and have no issues. I also have a zebco 33 and a shakespear closed face reel and always seem to have issues with the line no matter how you spool it.

Post Thanks / Like

He's not messing with you this time, yes you can put the line on wrong. Mono will take a set after it has been on a spool for awhile. Two more things to remember, use good line, spray line with a line conditioner such as Keven Van Dams to help keep line limp and free of line loops.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PumbaBass View Post
    Ive heard if when your spooling your line onto the reels you have to have the sticker facing up otherwise it will tangle more.

If I'm using this method, I always start with the sticker face up. That usually works. If it doesn't, I just flip it over.

Quote Originally Posted by PumbaBass View Post
    I always do it that way and have no issues. I also have a zebco 33 and a shakespear closed face reel and always seem to have issues with the line no matter how you spool it.

In my experience, the better the reel, the better the line goes on and comes off. That's one of the things you're paying for with a better reel. I don't buy a reel unless it has a good oscillation system and some type of "twistbuster" feature. My Daiwas and Shimanos have perfect line lay. The line is so even, it looks like a spool of thread. Consequently, I get very few twists and tangles.

For the record, these are the reels I use most often:

Daiwa Tierra 3000
    Shimano Symetre 2500 and 4000
    Daiwa SS 700

Post Thanks / Like

Bone, if your reel does not have the anti twist feature, put the line on with the spool laying flat and bring your line straight up off the spool then spray with a conditioner. This has worked for me, hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys (I call everyone guys so Ladies please do not be offended) for your comments. Dang - Line Conditioner - I guess I have been under a rock toooo long... Gonna get me some of this and I am also going to start looking at higher quality reels. Might have to buy one a year for now and upgrade accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes to your question. Some of the low end imported line will kink regardless. Try trilene XL line in 6# on that small reel and you will like it much better. If you upgrade your reel just a touch you will like it even more. No POO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast