Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capps / Coleman rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capps / Coleman rig

Can someone please explain this a little better. Its from a recent article about Capps and Coleman on Reelfoot Lake. Its not clear to my simple mind.

"It uses two 3-way swivels to hold the top hook out on a short 6- to 8- inch leader, while the lower swivel holds another longer leader that has an egg weight wrapped through the line to hold it in place."

I understand the top swivel - I think - its line, jig, and other leader. The second swivel is a little bit of a mystery.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

No second swivel, just the one at the top.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is what's called the C/C rig.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

the blue weight is cool

Post Thanks / Like

what keeps the top hook from hanging down right beside the drop line. i tried tying two jigs on the other day with a swivel and when i put it water the top jig just hung right beside the drop line.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a lighter jig or just a hook with a plastic bait on it.
    Allatoona Bandit

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Tocold ... IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by tocoldtorace View Post
    what keeps the top hook from hanging down right beside the drop line. i tried tying two jigs on the other day with a swivel and when i put it water the top jig just hung right beside the drop line.

... the C/C setup isn't meant as a tightline rig. It's meant to be kept moving along, slowly ... as in trolling, drifting, pushing/pulling/dragging, etc. ... this keeps the top hook/leader away from the main line.

The KY Lake Rig ... which has two wire spreaders to keep the hook/leader lines away from the main line (and sinker on bottom of rig), is more better for tightline applications.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

As posted above, you need to run this very slowly. the faster you move it, the farther up the bottom hook rides. This is a great set-up for push trolling and drifting.
    Also, it works well for other fish as well(great walleye drifting set-up), when worked very slowly.
    I dont use them alot, but when i do, i tend to run the swivel up the line much higher than most, leaving a much longer bottom line, so when i do accelerate, it dosent climb up to the top hook.
    Also play around with a jig head at the bottom, helps keep it down, and you can lighten up the barrel swivel a bit.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 3/8th sinker the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I use this rig for spider rigging, and it works great. I pre tie them with jigs,minnow hooks, and road runners and wrap the rigs around sections of foam swim noodles. I tie snap swivels to the lines on my poles. This makes it really quick to change over to different rigs.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast