Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Tell me what you think....

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Economic Rod Holder Setup?!?!?!?!

A buddy of mine here at school is wanting to try spider rigging for crappie with me, but doesn't want to drill holes in his boat. I designed a PVC spider rig that will hold four rods. I know it will probably be aggravating to fish, but I think it will work to get him in to sport.

He's a big bass fisherman and I'm slowly trying to convert him. The holder it self will be 2in schedule 40 and there will be a 3 in sleeve on the pedestal. The holders will be 4 in schedule 40 cut into 3 in rings. I haven't determined how much yet, but I will cut a bit of the ring out and cut a hole into one side and and an open sided slot on the other. I have seen this holder made before. The lines coming off the T-bar will be some type of string support to tie off to the boat it self...maybe at a cleat or something. I will use a 3" to 2" reducer to put the 3" sleeve on the pedestal. I haven't made any measurements on the boat so these are all rough.

What yall think of the idea. A waste of time? or will it catch a few fish and save a ton of money. I think I make two of these for around 40 bucks. Some tinkering and I might have a pretty good idea. Thanks for the input.

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Crappie Buster; 04-02-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you need to go thru all that work to get him into crappie,
    take him to a cove and setout some floats, and give him a rod to jig with.

no need to spider rig this time of year anyway, them fishees are in close now.

also a clamp design might be easier then fixing it to a chair.

bass fisherman are not crappie fisherman, differant breed lol

hope you have fun an bang em good
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool design there Crappie Buster! My Father-in-Law makes his rod holders out of 6" PVC pieces cut in half. He cuts a slot in the bottom with the table saw so he can adjust them up and down also to get the rods closer to the water. I think, for safety, he does this before he splits the pipe into the smaller pieces.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Buster ...

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Buster View Post
    A buddy of mine here at school is wanting to try spider rigging for crappie with me, but doesn't want to drill holes in his boat. I designed a PVC spider rig that will hold four rods. I know it will probably be aggravating to fish, but I think it will work to get him in to sport.
    He's a big bass fisherman and I'm slowly trying to convert him. The holder it self will be 2in schedule 40 and there will be a 3 in sleeve on the pedestal. The holders will be 4 in schedule 40 cut into 3 in rings. I haven't determined how much yet, but I will cut a bit of the ring out and cut a hole into one side and and an open sided slot on the other. I have seen this holder made before. The lines coming off the T-bar will be some type of string support to tie off to the boat it self...maybe at a cleat or something. I will use a 3" to 2" reducer to put the 3" sleeve on the pedestal. I haven't made any measurements on the boat so these are all rough.
    What yall think of the idea. A waste of time? or will it catch a few fish and save a ton of money. I think I make two of these for around 40 bucks. Some tinkering and I might have a pretty good idea. Thanks for the input.
    CB
    ... "that dog'll hunt" :p (and I've seen a similar setup commercially made, or custom made ... but it's been awhile)

ALSO ... to save some $$$ .. you might try and get your PVC for free. Check trash dumpsters around construction sites (yep ... go "dumpster diving :p ) or check the trash behind stores that sell PVC.

I don't "totally" agree with Albiechaser ... but, he does have a point. If this friend wants to learn "spider rigging" ... this setup should do the trick. But, if he's a diehard Bass angler, and just wants to learn to catch Crappie ... then you might just want to get him to downsize his equipment (rods/reels/line/baits) and use the same techniques he's already familiar with ... swimming a jig, "worm fishing" (using a weedless jighead & plastics), and "crankin" (using small crankbaits or jighead/curly tail plastics), and maybe even using some minnows on a "drop-shot" rig.

If your fish are still in the pre-spawn stage, spider rigging or long line trolling could be the ticket. But, if they're pretty much into the spawning stage, casting to cover might be a better option. YOUR biggest problem will be to FIND the fish :p to put him on Once you locate them ... the presentation option should be obvious :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the pleasure of converting many bass fisherman over the years to crappie fishing. Your design looks pretty good to me, hope it works for you or him.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think I'm going to find scrap to start with. I have already introduced him to crappie fishing through casting jigs and fishing slip corks. Until now that has been our only option while here at school. At home on the weekends I'm an avid spider rigger and I think I can put a whole lot more fish in the boat at school with set-up. If we start catching some bigger numbers I think he'll convert pretty fast.

The fish we are on right now are prespawn and we actually caught some a nice mess the other day tightlining, but we didn't have any rod holders. Just layed the rods on the floor of the boat. I don't like doing that cause its a good way to loose a rod if a big fish hits or you hook brush.

I think I'll start this project beginning of next week. I have already thought about some modifications that will make it more sturdy. I'll keep you posted on the progress.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice...be sure and show us the finished product.