Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: green field ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default green field ?

im wanting to put a green field on my hunting land, but i want to plant something that has something to offer year round, and itll keep coming back for a few years, any ideas ive thought of the biologic mix but dont really know alot about deer just started hunting this year..

Post Thanks / Like

jhef you may look at beans for the summer and fall, and then winter wheat for the winter and spring. Hard to beat IMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhef View Post
    im wanting to put a green field on my hunting land, but i want to plant something that has something to offer year round, and itll keep coming back for a few years, any ideas ive thought of the biologic mix but dont really know alot about deer just started hunting this year..
    CLOVER! Deer love it and it will be there for years. Use a several varieties for year round green. Also, throw in a little rye grass on the edge of the field. Another great NATURAL food source is honeysuckle. Make a few wire "boxes" about 3feet square and transplant honeysuckle then place the wire box over it. This will keep the deer from browsing it to death. They will have a nice honeysuckle "bush" to graze on.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

We usually sow oats they seem to work well.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys will the clover still be alive and growing during deer season, winters arent too bad here in north bama, will also do the honeysuckle thing , thought about getting a good clover mix and then go grab some corn seeds and turnip seeds and throw in the mix at random and see how it does,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhef View Post
    thanks guys will the clover still be alive and growing during deer season, winters arent too bad here in north bama, will also do the honeysuckle thing , thought about getting a good clover mix and then go grab some corn seeds and turnip seeds and throw in the mix at random and see how it does,
    My clover patch does. I ain't too far from you. You may not see it, but it is there. The deer and turkey keep mine grazed so close that you have to look hard to see it, sometimes can't see it. Fertilize every fall.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I would frist do a soil sample to determine the ph. Most clovers like a ph around 6.5 to 7.0.If ph is low, lime accordantly.State extention service will test your soil sample for a few dollars and send you the results back with a list of recomended applications.Once clover is established only late summer bush hogging is needed. Should last for around three years.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with above....CLOVER....It produces year around. But I also mix match with oats and winter peas on some kill plots!

Post Thanks / Like

jhef,
    I live and hunt in north Bama and southern Tenn. I am by no means an expert food plot analyst but I have planted a little bit of everything that a deer would even think about eating. I guess you could say I was experimenting every year for the past 20 years just trying to find that magic attractant. One thing I have learned though is to follow proper planting instructions of what it is you are attempting to plant. If I had to pick one for overall performance and attraction it would be imperial clover. Takes a little more effort as far as proper planting procedures but is worth it in the end.Also go by the planting dates. If planted in early spring it can withstand a hard freeze just as soon as it starts to grow but it will not do as well if planted to late in the spring as heat will hurt it unless it is established good. You can also plant it in the fall and the same scenario applies as it does in the spring.
    bamaboyshunting.com

Post Thanks / Like

Clover and Wintergreens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast