Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How do you charge your batteries,What Amp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you charge your batteries,What Amp?

I have heard opinions of how to charge deep cycle batteries, but like to hear what you guys do.I use a computer charger that I purchased at WM, and I always set it for 2 amps charge.Takes 1 day per battery, but my batteries have always seemed to last me a good long time and no issues.I bring this up because I have been thinking of buying an on board charger and they most all seem to charge at a higher charge rate.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard so much bad about onboard chargers. I would just mount a regular charger in my boat before I would buy an onboard.I charge mine on 10 amps then if I remember I put them on 2 amps till full charge.Have had good luck with batts from Auto Zone but not from Wal-mart.
    living life to its fullest, This is not a dressed rehearsal.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an onboard Dual Pro Charger 10x2 for my 24v system. The guy I bought the boat from has had it years and said it works great. I've had no problem either. I spent the whole day on the lake and I didn't notice a drop in power at all.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 little chargers ( in fact I think they called them battery tenders instead of chargers) off ebay for just a few dollars each. They've worked great for me so far. Thought about a onboard. I talked to a guy at normandy about 2 weeks ago that had a new pro craft. Was complimenting him on his new boat. He told me that he had a legend and his onboard shorted out and burnt his boat and garage. Think I'll pass on the onboard chargers.
    You will become like those with which you associate.

Post Thanks / Like

that could happen with any charger cant see why it was not hooked through a circuit breaker.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default charging

I have never had an on board charger, but I like the concept of plug it in and forget it. I tried a small solar charger from BPS and took it back, no cut off when charged and it boiled the batts. Used cheap chargers for years when I could keep up with em, but time for me is tough now. WM sells a small 2/4/6 amp charger with auto cut off and has worked very well for me for under $30. If I use the TM a lot I will put it on 6 amp to charge, but that's rare. I was told to chg deep cycle batteries slow cuz of the deep cycle design. Usually I put it on 4 and check in a few hours. If it's still going I'll change it to 2 amp and let it take it's time. I might be over managing, but I get 3 yrs out of $65 WM batteries then take them back for a pro rate. Pays to keep receipts.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, Skeet, I am with you on slow charging. I only go higher that the 2 amp setting when I am short on time.I get good time out of them too.Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery charging

I use an 8 amp onboard that has kept my batteries for 3 years now with now problem. I have used an onboard on other boats with no problems and most have been 10 amp. I have a computer charger that when you set it on "Deep Cycle" it will hit them hard for 20 seconds and then back off, hit them again and so forth.
    Secretary of Da Fish!