Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

I have noticed on all the information on trolling I have seen, it is always done off the back of the boat. With the trolling motor mounted in the front, this becomes very difficult unless you have a partner or your trolling motor is remote controlled.

In my particular boat, I have a fish finder mounted on the trolling motor, so I was just wondering what, if any, may be the disadvantages to trolling from the front, and basically pushing the boat instead of pulling it?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling by ones self does seem to be a difficult task at times. The trolling of crankbaits for crappie and the flatline trolling of jigs can be done with your outboard motor. Speed is critical here. Many other factors also come into play such as length and diameter of line, and type of lure. Most trolling takes place between 1.0 and 2.5mph +or - a few. A good gps unit can help you out here. To slow your boat down you can purchase a trolling plate that mounts to the lower unit of the outboard, tie a rope to a five gallon bucket(s) and let them drag in the water behind the boat, buy a drift sock which acts as a parachute in the water, and some even drag a log chain on the bottom of the lake. All of these techniques will slow your boat down as you sit behind the wheel of the boat. Mount rod holders on each side of the boat in front of you so you can see the rod reaction when a fish hits. This way all of your attention can be on the rods in front and paying attention to boat direction and control while still looking at at fishfinder on your console/dash. if this seems like a lot, just wait until you get multiple fish on at one time and the wind is blowing 20mph! Crappiehunter

Post Thanks / Like

i use a 5hp honda to troll with thats been modified to keep the speed where i want it at just above idle and to keep it tracking straight. I use the big motor like a rudder to steer with and to make slow turns. If i wanna make a fast turn ill crank the big motor and use it to turn with. the big motor moves the boat way too fast to keep the jigs where i want to keep em. and my motor, a 90 hp dont idle at low speeds very well before it starts cuttin off. I can troll alone, but its a good bit of work, running the boat and watching rods so id rather have someone with me to work the rods. when i have company we can run up to ten or 12 rods. alone, ill usually run no more than six. this is the way ive always trolled. my lines are strung out back of the boat. when im alone all rods are mounted ahead of me so i can see the hit without constantly turning from side to side . after reading on here about how these guys was catching fish trolling off the front with electrics we tried it last winter and was fairly sucessful verticle trolling off the front with long rods. we set side by side on the front and run four to six rods each . it was a lot different kind of trolling than we done pulling jigs off the back, but it worked great. i liked it cause it give me a chance to fish instead of just runnning the motor when pullling jigs with the gasoline. before i bought the sea ark i used a 14 ft alumacraft with a 2 1/2 johnson to troll with and we trolled for years using this rig with a lot of sucess. when i bought the sea ark i had to start over as it was a lot different handling boat and i dint troll for several years with it as i was having a lot of trouble gettin the honda down to the speed i wanted. this spring i finally got it where i wanted it and trolled some before the season ended with a lot of sucess. I like to troll when the water is too muddy to night fish as we dont do well at night with lights in muddy water.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a 16ft lakesport, with a 50 hp engine and a 35 thrust trolling motor. I was thinking of setting up a rod holder in the front, so when I am by myself, I could troll off the front and control the trolling motor at the same time. I also have a depth finder up there I could look at.

Post Thanks / Like

As a Bass fishing guide back about 1979/1980 I stumbled on to trolling with my troll motor and I still do the same thing. I use a bow mount troll motor and just have the person in the back hold their rod on the other side of the boat.

Also if you use one of the long rods (11+ feet) you can also use a short rod and troll 2 rods at one time. You just have to be careful turning around.

I sold my bass boat a few weeks and bought a pontoon boat and intend on using it the same way and I will use rod holders with 2 different length rods.

I also use 1/32 original Roadrunners the feather type and find they will hit that when they will not hit other larger jigs.

My primary time to use this method is in the fall and spring, but at different depths.

Some people use a troll motor on the side of their boat so the can set out many rods all in holders as they move the boat sideways.

I moved from the area and gave up guiding many years ago, but now am back on the same lake, but just fishing for fun now.

Hope this helps!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

one thing i forgot to mention on my setup for trolling. some folks use different lengths of rods and stick em straight out to the side, side by side to keep the lines seperated. this works good if im using the electric off the front and sittin there with someone and moving very slowly. Using the 5 hp, all my lines are strung out behind me and all my rod lengths are the same. 7 ft medium action ugly sticks w/6lb line. adjust one rod holder straight out to the side, position the second one with the rod tip half way tween the first holder and the back corner of the boat, the thrid holder with the rod tip right off the back corner and the fourth rod tip straight out the back, if you wanna run eight lines. these different angles of the rods will keep the tips seperated so the lines wont tangle. when you make a turn everything falls in place and dont mix up, pulling back in track when you straighten out. If you have a rod man, the out of the back rod will work good. if you are alone, then i woulndt run the rods out the back of the boat as they will be be in your way when you work the other rods. If you are alone, this type setup will work better with three rods to a side. when you have to bring a line in with a fish or whatever, throw it straight out to the side and move the outside rod(s) in to the vacant holder. on the trolling motor i have a throttle extension so i can stand at the console and work the gas and turn the little motor if need be. i also have a bracket on the boat seat i can lay the throttle extension in to hold the motor straight so it will track without the boat starting to turn like it will do if you dont keep it tracking straight. i usually use the big motor as a rudder, and lay the throttle extension in the bracket and dont hold it unless im fixing to make a move.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...