Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water temp Question?

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water temp Question?

In relation to the spawn. About a week ago on one of our area Lakes the water temp was 65-67 degrees in the enbayments. The fish were shallow like in 3 to six feet of water and the females I caught appeared to be close to spawning. Since it has rained from 3-5 inches muddied the water and temp has dropped to 53 degrees. Will this put a hold on the spawn or how does this relate if any to it. Thanks TennCrappie

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables to answer, but, I'll try to explain my theory. The colder temps will probably back them off into deeper water for a while, but, they are still wanting to spawn, so, when it starts to warm up again, they will move right back where they were before it cooled off?
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I always get a kick out of this scenario. Every year spring starts to come and the water will start warming up to the low to mid 50's (this depends on what part of the country you live in, I'm in the midwest) in mid March. The crappie start getting the urge and you begin to catch them shallow. Most people catch a few for the first time and start getting excited. Three or four days of warm weather can quickly warm shallow water and the fish move in. "I caught some in five feet of water!" some will exclaim. "They were aggressive and the females were full of eggs, they must be getting ready to spawn any day!!!! I'm so glad spring is here, it's the best time of the year."

What a wonderful time of the year! However the fish in Missouri are not ready to spawn. I've been catching crappie since the last of February in shallow water, every one of them are full of eggs. The crappie I caught in late December and early Janruary were full of eggs!!!!

Crappie are a lot like you and I, in the early spring when we are outside on a nice day we seek the sun. Do you eat your sandwhich under the shade tree when it is only 60 degrees? Of course not, we set down in the warm sunshine. The fish are doing the same. They have spent the last several months in 35-40 degree water and and that 50-55 stuff feels great! They will come up shallow and enjoy the warmeth. However they still aren't ready to spawn.

Old timers say once spring gets here there are two cold snaps, one for the black berries and the other for the rest of the plants. It's kind of a shell shock that allows them to go ahead and come to life. When these cold spells, rain, etc... come the crappie will back out a little. However they still of the "urge to merge" on their mind. In Missouri the male crappie will be on the banks making beds beginning in the third week of April and from there until the first week of May it's ambush time! Of course this will depend on extreme weather conditions. The water temp will consistently stay between 60-65 but can jump quickly.

With all that said there are always a few "strange ducks, uh fish" that are out of the ordinary. There will always be a few that will spawn extremely early and some that spawn extremely late. There are also a large number of fish that will never come shallow and spawn in 15-20 feet of water. It's amazing how many nice fish could be caught from the other side of the boat when people are pounding the banks. You can catch nice, yes nicer crappie in 15-20 feet of water and when you boat them they are releasing eggs all over the place. That's a shocker against conventional wisdom.

Here's what you do - fish when ever you can. I love the quote, "there ain't but one time to go fishin' and that's whenever you can." Go on the nice days and the rainy. Go when the water is warm early and after the storms cool it off 5-10 degrees. Try fishing for crappie with "out of the box" methods, the more time you spend on the water the greater treasurers you will find.

Good luck and remember the best is yet to come!

Brad

Oh, I almost forgot - "Go find Limitville!"
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shockley32 View Post
    Here's what you do - fish when ever you can. I love the quote, "there ain't but one time to go fishin' and that's whenever you can." Go on the nice days and the rainy. Go when the water is warm early and after the storms cool it off 5-10 degrees. Try fishing for crappie with "out of the box" methods, the more time you spend on the water the greater treasurers you will find.

Good luck and remember the best is yet to come!

Brad

Oh, I almost forgot - "Go find Limitville!"
    Thats how i do it, and sometimes when everyone says there are no fish you catch that nice slab.