Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Guys I Am New Here

deerman Guest

Default Hi Guys I Am New Here

hey i am new to this site and have been fishing for years and theres a huge lake just minutes from me and i have decided to take up crappie fishing the past 3 to 4 years and i just dont have to good of luck with it........some folks there can load up on them but i am lucky to leave with 20 on an all day fishing trip...................i don't use minnows much cause they die on me fast so i use jiggs mostly.....

what my question is here is on how to bait a hole up.........i want to know what kind of feeds are used to bait up crappie...........any information you guys have i will greatly appreciate it and if any of yall are from Haleyville Alabama and want to go fishing just holler at me........HAHAAA>......thanks

deerman Guest

if anyone here has yahoo messenger my name on thier is deercamboy...........message me cause i need to learn from some pro's

deercamboy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Deerman and welcome to the crappie.com forums. Good to see you and try to help. First I would recommend that you check with our local DNR authorities to see if this practice is ok. If they say yes then they may have an idea on what works best in your area.

I have heard of numerous ways to attrack crappie. Some say that putting out bails of hay into the water helps. The nutrients in the hay attract bacteria and periplanktom to the hay. These tiny organism are at the bottom of the food chain and start the web of life in a lake. They eventually will attract larger and larger insects and other invertibrates that will feed on the periplankton. These in turn attract the minnows and the minnows attract the crappie to the site.

Now I have also heard and seen people using dog food inside plastic containers. They put two buckets together and the dogfood inside the smaller bucket. The smaller bucket is positioned inside a larger bucket. Holes are drilled in the buckets to allow small minnows to get to the dogfood inside. These are hung off of docks to try to attrack minnows to the dock. The minnows in turn hopefully will attract some crappie.

Add these nutrients to a spot that has some brush piles and you may start attracting some nice crappie.

Another trick that Herters suggests is to fill a clear glass minnow jar full of minnows and lower it over the side of the boat. These minnows will appear as a school of minnow to the larger fish and is suppose to help attract larger fish to the area. Not sure if this works but it's described in the herters field book.

Quote Originally Posted by deerman
    hey i am new to this site and have been fishing for years and theres a huge lake just minutes from me and i have decided to take up crappie fishing the past 3 to 4 years and i just dont have to good of luck with it........some folks there can load up on them but i am lucky to leave with 20 on an all day fishing trip...................i don't use minnows much cause they die on me fast so i use jiggs mostly.....

what my question is here is on how to bait a hole up.........i want to know what kind of feeds are used to bait up crappie...........any information you guys have i will greatly appreciate it and if any of yall are from Haleyville Alabama and want to go fishing just holler at me........HAHAAA>......thanks
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Both methods work for me more often than not!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard Deerman. You will find allot of nice folks and good information on this site. If you are wondering about a topic you can do a search on the entire forum to pull up posts.

As far as baiting holes or brush piles I have heard of sinking the bale of alfalfa or hay like Moose said. Also if you want to attract catfish some people use burlap sacks of dog food.

But by the sound of it you have a good start. 20 crappie is a fine catch and meal by most standards.

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Roll Tide, or Go Auburn?

Welcome to the board Deerman. The other guys have already covered the answers I had for you. It helps people out if you fill out your profile. This will help them give you more accurate answers. Lots of good people here! Post often, they are always glad to help.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Deerman, welcome! I agree, 20 a trip is to be admired - I wish I did
    that good when I was first starting out. And some days now I might only
    catch 5 or on a rare day only 2 or 3 - that is largely due to my unwillingness
    to change to weather conditions - I do what I do regardless, my wife is not
    a big fish-eater, so 5 is a plenty for me and the kids. But stick around, this
    is a fun place to hang out!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Deerman, Welcome Aboard-sounds like your doing pretty good to me.Like Jeff theres times when 4 or 5 are it.I too am mainly a jig man for the reason you mentioned.As for baiting holes the two mentioned are the ones most used,the bails of hay seem to work pretty well here.Good Luck---
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey Deerman, welcome aboard, the others have all mentioned good methods. There is one more that I use that works for me. I buy cottenseed cake from a feed store and put it in a mesh sack (old pantyhose works also) and I tie this around a brushpile or stump. It usually takes less than an hour for the minnows to show up. If you can set it out the day before you fish it that is even better.

If I could catch 20 a day reguarly that would be great so I don't think you are doing too bad.
    Good Luck,
    Shadow
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

deerman, how far is Haleyville from Scottsboro? I do alot of crappie fishing in the Scottsboro area during late fall and winter. If you ever head up to that area any we could meet up for a fishing trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast