Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling motor battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling motor battery

my charger showed battery with full charge , i keep a maintainer on year round. went fishing today and battery was dead in two hours, wouldn'tpull the boat. so i guess the battery is dead??or could it be my charger any thoughts??

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be either one. With the charger off, check the voltage at the battery. Now plug the charger in and check it again. You should see an increase in voltage if the charger is working. If you do, have the battery load tested at your local auto parts store.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Also check the water level in each cell. If you can't see water add distilled water.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

okay thanks just checked water level in battery and it was low so i filled up with distilled water, it was reading 10.7 volts then hooked up charger now is charging at 12.7 so do you think the battery is dead or will it come back to hold a good charge?? next question my bunk on the trailer ( bottom of boat are rotten, can i just replace those with treated 2x4's or, does it take a special board?? thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Recheck it after it has charged a while. It should be a little higher than that. I've replaced many bunks using treated wood and never had a problem.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

After you have got it to full charge let it set for 24 hrs and check the voltage again if is is below 12 it is shot. Treated 2x4's work fine. Might cover them with carpet.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you cover them with carpet and need them to slide spray them with Jig-a-loo. Its a silicone base lubricant that you can probably get at wally world. Great stuff. If you use it don't untie the boat from the front of the trailer before you're ready to have it come off of the trailer. Man that stuff is slick.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i will recheck voltage in 24 hrs. and next time boat is in the water i will replace my bunks with treated 2x4's.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Creekslick: the treated wood with carpet works great. I use indoor/outdoor carpet.

I've always wondered why trailers tend to come with untreated wood for bunks that you are eventually going to have to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What IBNFSHN said about having it load checked...

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    Could be either one. With the charger off, check the voltage at the battery. Now plug the charger in and check it again. You should see an increase in voltage if the charger is working. If you do, have the battery load tested at your local auto parts store.
    is necessary as you may see what looks like good charge, but when loaded the bottom falls out.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.