PDA

View Full Version : New to crappie fishing Hello!!

donkeotae
03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone! Let me start by saying I love this site great into an great people. My name is Luke, I live in Anderson IN. I have been reading as many posts as I can from this site but I still have some questions. Just bear with me cause they might sound stupid but I just started crappie fishing the beginning of this year.I have only caught 5 crappie and all were caught on a white road runner just a simple cast and retreive.I recently bought a boat(12 ft. aluminum john boat) and two days ago I bought a hummingbird 110 fish buddy. I have never used any electronics so I dont really know what im doing. I took my boat out yesterday to try out my fishfinder. I saw many fish 8 to 16" deep and around structure. How do i catch them???? I started fishing 2 years ago and really got into bass fishing so im use to using worm and crank bait and spinners and such. I have some crappie jigs and tubes of various colors but i just dont know how to get the crappie. I dont know how to tell how deep my jig is when vertical jigging or for that matter how to vertically jig for crappie.Im just at a lost and need some helpful tips and pointers.

thanks
Luke

skeeter
04-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Welcome to the forums from lubbock, Tx. The way i do it is just to let it down to what i think is the depth and then start moving down to the bottom.. your fish finder should show you how far from the bottom the fish would be... so start bringing your jig up slowly till u get a bite..but remember crappie wont bite something lower than them..but they will bite or come up to eat!~

shipahoy41
04-01-2009, 07:42 AM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/welcome33.gif Old Ship says hello and I am glad that you cast a line to this forum. I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home (http://www.fishin4crappie.com)

Black Crow
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the board.

My set up is not much different than yours. There are tons of electronics out there depending on the level of complication you decide to target your crappies.

I agree with skeeter about how to present your baits. RRs are good for suspended crappie, but when fish are holding tight to structure or sitting on the bottom, you might try a basic jig or minnow set up. When you see fish holding structure try using a slip bobber and try different depths until you find where the fish are holding. You can also use a traditional bobber with fixed depths and a Kentucky Rig minnow set up is very effective for pulling up deep fish. You can search the site for terms like "Float and Fly," "Kentucky Rig," "Slip Float," and "Bottom Bump" to see how to tie up these rigs and also how to fish them.

One of the most important things about crappie fishing, in my opinion, is boat control. Whether you are sitting still working a brush pile or trolling, you must be able to control your boat in relation to the area you want to target. Do you have a trolling motor on your boat? If so, try to rely on it to hold your position rather than dropping an anchor. If you must use an anchor, try to place it away from the brush. This will help to keep from spooking fish and also will protect brush piles and other structure from being destroyed.

old fuzzy
04-01-2009, 08:12 AM
welcome from central missouri,,

STUMP HUNTER
04-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the board from S.C. :)

CrappiePappy
04-01-2009, 08:48 AM
You've already learned how to use the Roadrunner, and that's a start. I'd suggest getting some weedless jigheads, and use the cast/retrieve method. Rod position much the same as when "worm fishing" ... retrieve speed should be slow enough that the jig isn't being pulled back to you on a tight line, but with a slight bow in the line (from rod tip to water). Anytime you see the line jump, move sideways, or go slack ... set the hook !! You can expect a 1/16oz jighead with a plastic tube/grub body on it, to sink about 1ft per second ... so, you can count down how deep the jig goes, to get it down to the depth you want/need it to be. But, when casting ... stop the fall of the jig at least two feet ABOVE the depth the fish are showing on your electronics. You want to present your bait above them ;)

Unless you have rods over 8ft long, to vertical jig with ... you might consider doing this, instead : Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting (http://crappie.com/content/view/18/2/)

Keep the questions coming ... that's what we're here for !!

... cp :cool:

lynn sanders
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey come to Millwood Lake with me for a day and I will show you how to use your equipment for bass and crappie. Also how to catch them as well.

Fatman
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome aboard from Vermont

Fatman

ga.crappie&breamguy
04-01-2009, 01:54 PM
welcome from se ga. just sit back and read these guys are great as i am new to the game too.

DKR
04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Welcome to C.c from S.C.

limbhook
04-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, from southern Indiana

PawPaw "gene"
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Luke, welcome from the deep south, so deep that sometimes it underwater. Louisiana saying welcome.

"gene"

radtexan
04-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Welcome from Texas !!!

ad1974
04-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Welcome from PA.

thankfull
04-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Welcome aboard from north Ga.

skiptomylu
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
26547 From Toledo Bend Texas!

bc1448
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the board from VA!
Blake

Milo
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
You've already learned how to use the Roadrunner, and that's a start. I'd suggest getting some weedless jigheads, and use the cast/retrieve method. Rod position much the same as when "worm fishing" ... retrieve speed should be slow enough that the jig isn't being pulled back to you on a tight line, but with a slight bow in the line (from rod tip to water). Anytime you see the line jump, move sideways, or go slack ... set the hook !! You can expect a 1/16oz jighead with a plastic tube/grub body on it, to sink about 1ft per second ... so, you can count down how deep the jig goes, to get it down to the depth you want/need it to be. But, when casting ... stop the fall of the jig at least two feet ABOVE the depth the fish are showing on your electronics. You want to present your bait above them ;)

Unless you have rods over 8ft long, to vertical jig with ... you might consider doing this, instead : Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting (http://crappie.com/content/view/18/2/)

Keep the questions coming ... that's what we're here for !!

... cp :cool:

Great article Pappie! I can't wait to get out and try some verticle castin!

Milo

Mohawk
04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Nice to meet you, Don. I'm new to the board also. I'm not new to crappie fishing, but if I ever got to where I can understand how to catch them, THAT will be new to me! Looks like we should get all the help we need right here. :)

donkeotae
04-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. So I went on another adventure again today, my second time out with the fishfinder. Water temp. was around 56 deg. I located some fish in the range of 10 to 16 ft. deep hanging close to a sunken tree. Black crow I have to say thank you for suggesting the slip bobber for the deep fishing and variable depth, because I put on a live minnow and started playing around with the depth and as soon as I hit about 9-10 ft. BAM! I started hittin crappie like crazy. It was the last hour I was out on the lake and I caught 16 crappie within that amount of time. It was not only the most crappie I have ever caught at one sitting in my life, I have to say it was some of the most fun I have had fishing in a very long time. Thanks all for the input, keep it coming, I have to say I'm hooked on crappie fishing after today!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/donkeotae/0401091909a.jpg[/IMG]

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e185/donkeotae/0401091936b.jpg[/IMG]

Oh and I didnt keep any of them just had them in one of those wire baskets in the water so I could take some pics of my catch. There are 14 in there not all big but I take what I can get. They are all fun!!

belliott
04-01-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm not real good with the countdown method, If I'm targeting fish in the 14-16 foot range and doing so with the boat positioned over them. I pitch my jig or minnow 10-12 feet from my boat and let it sink. If I need to I let out alittle slack. This has proven to be the most effective way for me to get my bait to a consistant level. The new technology in graphs, some you can actually see your line on the screen, I can't afford that kind of tech yet.

sea-sons
04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Welcome from NC. A good start is to get a couple of rods with 4 or 6lb line, tie on a 1/16oz jig head, put on a curly tail jig and troll about 1 mph.

slabbandit
04-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice pics donkeotae! Welcome from Lake Nimrod in Westcentral Arkansas!:)

Ken Jones
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone! Let me start by saying I love this site great into an great people. My name is Luke, I live in Anderson IN. I have been reading as many posts as I can from this site but I still have some questions. Just bear with me cause they might sound stupid but I just started crappie fishing the beginning of this year.I have only caught 5 crappie and all were caught on a white road runner just a simple cast and retreive.I recently bought a boat(12 ft. aluminum john boat) and two days ago I bought a hummingbird 110 fish buddy. I have never used any electronics so I dont really know what im doing. I took my boat out yesterday to try out my fishfinder. I saw many fish 8 to 16" deep and around structure. How do i catch them???? I started fishing 2 years ago and really got into bass fishing so im use to using worm and crank bait and spinners and such. I have some crappie jigs and tubes of various colors but i just dont know how to get the crappie. I dont know how to tell how deep my jig is when vertical jigging or for that matter how to vertically jig for crappie.Im just at a lost and need some helpful tips and pointers.

thanks
Luke

Luke, those questions aren't stupid. Everyone has to start somewhere. Okay you have located fish at 16ft. Now set up a slip bobber setup at 16ft. You'll be in fish all the time that day. Tubes are good bait for crappie. Remember one thing crappie like a moving target. Remember minnows aren't sitting around waiting to be eaten. I have been fishing in 38 foot of water and the fish are suspended at 14ft. on my sonar. So I adjust my bobber to fish at 14ft. Bingo I'm catching fish. Put a crappie niblet in white on your hook and have fun. Lets say your fishing pole is 6'6" double it thats 13ft. ad three more ft your in business. What I do I mark my fishing poles with finger nail polish at 1ft, incraments so I am pretty close to the suspended fish. I've been catching crappie all winter long. I'm 70yrs. old and have fished all my life. Just got back from a trip after steelhead here in Idaho we brought home 14 steelhead averageing 14 pds. I caught 6 that we kept and landed 4 others that had to be reliesed back.