Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with boat decision

Post Thanks / Like

Default need help with boat decision

I am looking at a g3 1966 jon sc & 1860 ctr console for mostly crappie & catfishing but also some light salt water fishing. What I was wanting to know is will the high sides on the 1966 28" be a problem vs the 1860 with 24" sides in a little wind. Also will that higher front deck on the 1966 cause me problems. I would like to from some g3 owners or some on that has fished on these boats Thanks camohull

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Camo, I own a 16 alum jon w/stick steer. Sides are kinda high and grab lots of wind and make boat control tough sometimes. I wish mine was a bit shorter on the sides. I like the 1860 that BPS offers, seen Tritons too. Lots of room. G3 has to be about the same. I think that either would do the double duty just fine, just remember that there isn't much weight or hull in the water to keep you from blowing around. Good anchors help.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G3 the same size and I use sea anchors. It isn't bad at all.
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Majesticman Which model do you have the 1966 or the 1860 Thanks Camohull

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camohull View Post
    Majesticman Which model do you have the 1966 or the 1860 Thanks Camohull
    1860 tunnel cc 90 Yamaha
    I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Majesticman What kind of fishfinder & trolling motor do you have on your boat ? Thanks camohull

Post Thanks / Like

1860 is a stud. Get that one!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I've got a 1756 Side console G-3. I'm not exactly sure what the height of the sides are on my model, but I'd assume the shorter 24". The one complaint I've got about it is that the wind will whip the nose of that joker around in a hurry and generally will move the boat significantly. In my mind, I don't think the height of the sides is the issue, I think it's the lack of weight on the front though. Comparing other brands of similar size, it's relatively light and sits fairly high on the the front at rest. Still, it's been a good boat for me and a great value if you're pricing against some of the other brands.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camohull View Post
    Majesticman What kind of fishfinder & trolling motor do you have on your boat ? Thanks camohull
    Minn Kota 55 V2 AP SR2

Lowance HDS-5 upfront (Haven't used yet) replaced Matrix 37 (son in law got)

Matrix 12 on dash

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think some weight in the storage boxes up front would keep the wind from blowing you around so much? Also is there a better jon boat out there in the same price range that will take the wind better? Thanks camohull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast