Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Check out THESE crappie condos!

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out THESE crappie condos!

Fish Attractor I've been reading about the fish attractors and such that y'all are making and putting out with much interest. I'm impressed with the effort, time, money and research that I've seen put into them. I was starting to think about getting me some concrete and PVC and trying it out myself. Then I ran into this...seems they have done it for me and marked it too! :D
    I plan to do some scouting and find out if they are working.
    Once you click the link, you'll have to scroll down the page to "New Fishing Holes" to check them out.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting material. Thanks for posting this link.

I am a bit confused on how they made the connect between the half barrels and the 1 1/2 pvc pipe that that is ok. I figure they just drilled a hole in the end of the half barrels and ran the pvc pipes though those holes. But I think it was performed a bit different that what I envisioned in my head. I don't have access to pvc plactic 55 gallon barrels anyway. So I doubt I will try to make them. But they do look very cool and I sure wish that the State of Indiana Fisheries DNR guys would do this for our state lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller
    Fish Attractor I've been reading about the fish attractors and such that y'all are making and putting out with much interest. I'm impressed with the effort, time, money and research that I've seen put into them. I was starting to think about getting me some concrete and PVC and trying it out myself. Then I ran into this...seems they have done it for me and marked it too! :D
    I plan to do some scouting and find out if they are working.
    Once you click the link, you'll have to scroll down the page to "New Fishing Holes" to check them out.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Just the other day I was thinking of making some fish habitats out of fiberglass roofing sheets. I thought I would cut the sheets in to 6' lengths and drill two holes on the corners of each sheet. I would link about four sheets together (depending on the water depth) with nylon rope keeping about 16 to 24" in between each sheet
    Under the top sheet I would tie styrofoam to make the top sheet want to float. I would tie cinder blocks to the botom sheet making it want to sink.
    This would go to the bottom and the styrofoam would try to go to the surface keeping the sheets spaced out toward the surface creating a shelve effect that would have shade and surface area for algae to grow. Each shelf would be 6' long by about 24" wide.

What ya"ll think?
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tried it out

I took my six year old out yesterday evening and found a fish attractor bouy. We anchored and fished it for about 1 1/2 hours with no luck. I'm not positive that it was marking one of the new attractors made of the plastic barrels or not, as the bouy has been there for some time.
    We got tired of no bites and took it up to the bridge, tied off and I sat back and enjoyed my son learning how to operate the bail on the rod, counting down his line, baiting his hook and FEELING the bite. We caught about 30 (we didn't really count) less than 10" and only 2 keepers (>10").
    Hopefully, with the hint throwing around my house for my desires for a fish finder for my birthday, I'll be able to tell more when I find other bouys to try.
    and... I think I'm going to have a hard time keeping my son out of my boat when I go fishing from now on. But, that's ok. He is making me proud!

Deacon,

The only real problem I could see with that would be that I would STAY snagged on the rope trying to fish it. If I didn't put the hook into the rope, the fish would.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought of that anchor, Maybe I can put a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe over each rope to help stop that.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Interesting material. Thanks for posting this link.

I am a bit confused on how they made the connect between the half barrels and the 1 1/2 pvc pipe that that is ok. I figure they just drilled a hole in the end of the half barrels and ran the pvc pipes though those holes. But I think it was performed a bit different that what I envisioned in my head. I don't have access to pvc plactic 55 gallon barrels anyway. So I doubt I will try to make them. But they do look very cool and I sure wish that the State of Indiana Fisheries DNR guys would do this for our state lakes.
    check out this website: jandjhabitat.com
    This guy is giving away free samples of the fish attractors he makes out of plastic pipe. Some of the state DNR are using them now!