Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with the latest Crappie World

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappointed with the latest Crappie World

I do not have a subscription for crappie world but usually when every new copy comes out I run down to wally world and pick one up. The latest one should have been called bluegill world. I know they are trying to cover more variety of panfish now but I just didnt really like it. I was able to read through it by standing beside the magazine rack for roughly 5 minutes. Needless to say I didnt purchase that edition, Its nice that they are covering more species but the reason I run down to buy the magazine is because of crappie and this one didnt have alot of info on crappie in it. Hopefully the fall edition is back on track

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    I do not have a subscription for crappie world but usually when every new copy comes out I run down to wally world and pick one up. The latest one should have been called bluegill world. I know they are trying to cover more variety of panfish now but I just didnt really like it. I was able to read through it by standing beside the magazine rack for roughly 5 minutes. Needless to say I didnt purchase that edition, Its nice that they are covering more species but the reason I run down to buy the magazine is because of crappie and this one didnt have alot of info on crappie in it. Hopefully the fall edition is back on track

My wife will buy me magazines off the rack every now and then, when she sees something that might interest me. Well when this subject came up last time, she came home with “Crappie World” and “Bass Master” magazines. The bad thing was that there were as many articles about Crappie in the Bass Master magazine as the Crappie World, maybe not that bad but closes.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

That was one of the summer editions. They put out another summer edition last year too but that was more geared to crappie fishing. One of the lastest issues had some articles on bluegill fishing and I guess some of the subscribers asked for more of those issues. I really don't fish for bluegills that much so that stuff didnt' really interest me that much. I did buy the special edition and read it while at the Dr office last week. But I am a sucker for any fishing books and if they have anything to do with catching crappie I am going to buy them. Even if there is only one article about crappie in the entire magazine.

The Four main issues of crappie world have almost always been exclusively about crappie fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube4Slabs
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

The crappie world magazine sucks. Four issues and the issues are almost identical from year to year, pretty much the only thing different is the pictures and advertisements, other than that the tips/topics/techniques are the same. It doesn't cost that much, so its not really a big deal, but you are better off reading about new things on here.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i read a letter to the editor in a old magazine that i keep by the throne :D . some one ask about a brem or sunfish magazine like crappie. the editor said there would be a special edition comming out with some brem or sunfish artickles in it . guess that was what you got .
    papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default you got it

crappie 66, harsh but so true. See my post on crappie world in the other
    forum. They even had junk about white bass in the summer issue. I used
    to fish for them when I was a teenager, but it has been years since I have
    regarded them as anything but a nuisance. I guess it is my fault for having
    a photographic memory, but it is the same articles over and over. I bought
    it for a long time just because it was the only thing for crappie, but no more.
    I'll take the money and buy some gas for the boat or a new lure instead.
    Part of my dislike for the mag is my location (can only read so many ice
    fishing articles) and my disdain for shallow water and fishing timber.
    Hard to catch crappie jigging brush in 5 foot of water when you can see
    the bottom as clear as the bottom of your bathtub! The stuff that really
    interest me, crankbaiting and MS power-trolling is hardly ever mentioned.
    The people who do it, as witnessed by some questions I have posted on
    here, are generally pretty close-mouthed. Try this, ask ? about a technique
    you have just heard about - the fewer responses, the more you can bet
    it is deadly!
    Last edited by J White; 08-03-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

this letter is the one i posted about . found it while on the throne this morning . it is a crappie magazine but there isent enough to fill a magazine with just crappie artickles . like some bas magazines have artickles on crappie . they wer ask about a bluegill magazine . so that is waht they wer trying to do .not enough blue gill artickles to fill a magazine 4 times a year . cant please every one .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

MS power-trolling??
    ...and this too shall pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustBob
    MS power-trolling??
    I am not trying to grab this for MS, that is just what I have heard it
    called by several other people - you guys may have been doing it for
    years, calling it something else. What it involves is long, stiff rods (15+)
    feet usually, with usually heavy line (12-14#) with a BIG weight on the
    end, up to 6 or 8 ounces, though I think most use 5. Hooks are tied on
    the main line at intervals up from the sinker with short dropper loops.
    Either jigs or just hooks with plastic tails on them are used. The rods are
    arrayed out the front, spider rig style, and the whole mess is pushed
    by the main outboard, usually with a trolling plate, at speeds up to 1.5 mph
    or even faster. It is primarily a open-water tactic, and shines in rough water.
    I have experimented with it a little, but my present boat does not lend itself
    well to this, at least with one person. Most people doing this, one drives
    the boat and nets, the other(s) tend rods. It takes some getting used to,
    at least for me - the feel of a 1-2 lb fish AND a huge weight on the end of
    that long a rod is unwieldy, to put it mildly. But it does work wonders.
    My interest in it over long-line trolling like I usually do, is that you can
    stop and spin on a dime to get back over a school of fish, without tangling.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Wardy Guest

I have not re-newed my subscription to Crappie World for the same reasons as mentioned above. Same ole...same ole... different pics...more adds. Then try to get ahold of somebody for anything but a re-newal. Buah--hahaha. You don't get much press north of the mason-dixon....in lakes with clear water and ice fishing... Any new material seems more gimicky to sell stuff than technique .

My two cents.. Wardy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast