Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: GatorTrax boats and surface drive motors

Post Thanks / Like

Question GatorTrax boats and surface drive motors

I have concluded that I need a new duck/crappie boat so that I can run really shallow water during flood hunting (ridges can be awfully shallow).

I think I have whittled down my choices to either a GatorTrax boat or the SeaArk Cast and Blast. The GatorTrax would probably do the shallow water better but the Cast and Blast is a very nice product and is probably cheaper.

However, I would like to add spider rig fishing to my arsenal and would like to be able to put 2 people on the front of the boat, and the GatorTrax boats look like they narrow significantly toward the bow. Does anyone know whether the GatorTrax 44" or 50" wide models (bottom width, not beam) are wide enough to set up 2 people to fish side by side out of the front of the boat? I really can't go any wider and be able to motor through flooded timber and brush.

Also, I was leaning toward the ProDrive motor because it is gear driven and has a reverse, but I know there are other good surface drive motors (am not referring to the beavertails) out there such as Mudbuddy, etc. Does any one have any experience, comments, etc. on surface drive makes?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked at the Pro-drive boats? They have 60" wide boats!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with going up to a 60" wide boat is that I can't get it through the flooded timber and brush that I have to in order to duck hunt. It is a nice boat though.

Post Thanks / Like

responded once to this thread, looks like it got deleted.

you may get a better user group for that question here.

GatorTrax - MudBuddy Forums

Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it could be done in a 50" wide boat. It just depends on how "cozy" you want to be with your fishin' buddie!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked out Legend Craft Inc ?

They also distribute motors. Good guys to ask about motors. Quality allwelded boats and they stand behind their products.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Actually our 50" bottoms are the most popular hull we sell and they get configured for this type of fishing often. On the 50" bottom, when you add the 16" extended front deck, the seat bases can be placed 36" apart.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm adding the Legends website to my list.

Also, the forum is helpful.

I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it, too, but it's been better than 20 years that I've been owning and running the boat I've got, and I want to try to hit the "sweet spot" on a new one.