Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade fish scaler

Ezee Guest

Default homemade fish scaler

Friends and I have been catching a lot of bream, google eye and a few crappie. I usually save a gallon of whole fish for our annual wild game cookoff for the cancer society. I have heard a few folks mention an electric homemade fish scaler. Does anyone have some pictures of one and how difficult is it to build one?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

you can use a water hose with a jet nozzle or if you have an old washing machine or no someone that does the work also. i think bps and/or cabelas sells some that you pull with your boat

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

put a sheat of expanded mettle about 2 ft long around a 2 disk wit a pipe through the center on a couple of pillopw berrings with a water hose on it and turn slow the expanded mettle will rub the scales off . i know of some around here and they work fine .have seen some with a eletric motor on them and some with a crank handle . cant turne fast .
    a air hose works good to with no water splash
    retired and now i will always fish

Ezee Guest

Thanks for the info..

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody just told me about the water hose/nozzle idea...sounds like it would work. Just hold em by the tail and spray a jet stream towards the head is the way it was explained to me.
    Snal~
    1992 Alumacraft 14' Jon Boat w/ 15hp Johnson
    1988 Party Barge w/Rude 90hp (project finished!)
    1994 C Dory 22 Angler w/ twin Honda 45's
    7 Kayaks, 1 canoe
    www.snartracing.com (my other passion)

Post Thanks / Like

i got a friend in south georgia that has one of them fish scalers. its like a drum about 2 or three ft long, with the mettle around it. he has a hose hooked to the center shaft with holes drilled in it that squirts water out while the drum is turning and washes the scales out. it turns slowly and works great and it gets all the scales off the fish. However I think i could clean fish faster than the machine works. when the scales are rubbed off, then you gotta clean em. the time spent waiting for the scaler to work then cleaning the fish i could have em cleaned, bagged, in the freezer and enjoying a good cold beer... i tried the hose thing once and made a huge mess plus i wound up wetter than the proverbial hen. I have an air compressor fairly close to the fish cleaning table that im gonna try the air thing and see how it works but i got a feeling im fixing to make another huge mess. . on fish i dont intend to fillet, i like to use a stiff bladed knife to scrape the scales off. If im filleting em, then i use an american angler electric. all these gadgets will work, but IMHO i dont think nothing beats a good knife and a little elbow grease.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Forget the scaling method

Your best bet is to fillet the fish, flip the fillet over and skin it. It is quick and easy, last time I cleaned fish, I cleaned 53 crappie and it only took an hour. Once you have them filleted, the skinning part is a breeze, maybe 3 or 4 seconds per fillet.

I had a neighbor up at the lake years ago who scaled all his fish, saying he wanted to save all the meat. Well he had scales everywhere, when they land on something they are like a little suction cup, and once they dry on a hard surface they are a pain to clean off.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I filet them all with an electric knife too. But once in a while a good mess of bream just scaled and gutted sure are good.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

use a filete board to hold the fish while blowing the scales off . thinking about making a flat blower . that might scale the fish with one pass ot two.
    rango gave a good decription of a scaler. .
    rango i live in so. ga. wher is your frind down here . he might be some one i know :D .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    use a filete board to hold the fish while blowing the scales off . thinking about making a flat blower . that might scale the fish with one pass ot two.
    rango gave a good decription of a scaler. .
    rango i live in so. ga. wher is your frind down here . he might be some one i know :D .
    he lives in eldorendo, about 20 mi north of bainbridge..last name is grubbs
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast