Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The blue Stabil

Post Thanks / Like

Default The blue Stabil

I have been given a better explanation about why I need to be running stabil blue in my outboard and finally this makes more sense to me than you just should do it.Here is what I was told by a boat mechanic.We have most all heard to use it because gas will get old if not used in a few weeks and etc, etc, and we have all heard it helps keep water out.And the ethanol in gas is an issue too. Mechanic told me that what happens in your outboard, they are probably more ethanol slipped in gas than you or I even know about. Ethanol runs/burns way hotter causing extra and excess heat, especially in our 2 cycle engines.They just dont like this and the stabil helps to reduce that somehow.What he said, I dont know, but I think I can see it.I wont run another tank of gas through my new motor ever without it.I do know I have had 2 older engines give trouble and both could have been caused by this excessive heat buildup.Whats anyone elses take on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 1958 johnson 35hp and I run Stabil through everytank. I've heard from many mechanics that it's a necessity, especially in older motors. It's been good to me so far, so I guess I'll keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else using stabil?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never added stabil during the regular running season. I do burn Exxon gas, it's ethanol free. Of course I run stabil through it for winterizing.
    U.S. Air Force Retired

Post Thanks / Like

Whats the difference in blue stabil & stabil in the red bottle?
    JohnW

Post Thanks / Like

Blue is better according to Mechanic.I am not sure.I think the red is just for the winterizing, or specialized for that and the blue is for all year running and helping with ethanol removal.This is just as I understand from hearing someone else speak about it.I am NOT an expert.I started this thread in hopes of hearing from others on the subject.Keep it going...Thanks for all the input.