Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let my lesson begin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let my lesson begin

Now that I just joined this site, and my absence from this kind of fishing has been way too long, I now need to pick some brains
    From reading different articles and listening to folks out on lakes that I've gone too, in a few weeks will be the prime time to fish for Crappie and Pannies. My question is, is the behavior of Crappie and Pannis the same everywhere? Or is it different in different parts of the country. I'm in So. Cal.
    I remember fishing with my dad when I was younger in Wisconsin and we used to have good bites mostly all year. Even ice fishing we brought in some nice fish. But out here, I'm finding it a bit more difficult. I'm thinking maybe it is because I'm a bit rusty at this.
    My next question is, is it true that Crappie will spawn after Bass? Do they take over the Bass nests after the Bass are through?

Post Thanks / Like

i could be wrong but im thinking that bass spawn after crappie.someone correct me if im wrong but bass spawn in warmer water than crappie do and gills after crappie for sure

Post Thanks / Like

bass spawn before crappie
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

We can catch crappie year round Important thing is knowing where they are based on water temps there are a few good articles and posts on this site I would start by reading those.

Milo

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They spawn about the same time...60 degrees...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Are you fishing Lake Casitas? And I have found memories of the Renaissance Fairs in Thousand Oaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Casitas and Piru. I have had great trout fishing at Piru the last couple of months. I catch my limit each time I go there which is once a week. I have talked to a number of anglers there and they all have told me that there are good Crappie fishing at Piru. I have heard the same for Casitas.
    I would like to try Casitas more though, seems everybody fishes for Bass there and not too much Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Bass spawn much later here. I have seen crappie on beds as early as April and may here. Bass on beds as late as June into July. The water is a little different in my local area though. Only really shallow water warms up early. Most of the lakes and ponds here stay cold in 10+ feet of water here, 50-55 until June. Sometimes the lakes won't turn over until mid June or later. Last year it was June 27th or there about before the shallower lakes turned over, some never did. Hurt the fishing here really bad and I think it killed a lot of fish staying so cold for so long. I imagine the fishing has been so bad here because the lakes have stayed so cold like this for 2-3 years. I can't imagine the numbers will be very high for a couple years until the weather pattern changes with El nino and La nina switching places.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

I know how it is to find yourself in a position where u dont know what to do to catch the fish... Put me back in East Texas and i can catch with the best of them...but now im in west texas and trying to figure out these darn canyon lakes...150 foot deep... and very little cover but rocks... so just listen to what these guys have to say and they will help you.
    For the love of Kids and FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Check the California state boards and see what they have posted on those lakes and you could always post the same question if you don't find what your looking for.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!

Fatman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast