Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: thin wire hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default thin wire hooks

im tired of having to heat up a hook so itll bend if it gets hung up, if you heat it too much it bends too easy, but i havent been able to find any actual thin wired hooks, any ideas were to look..or name brand of company that makes them

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Claw 214EL (extra light wire) size 2
    Lighter wire than a regular aberdeen crappie hook.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Step up to a higher test line (8lb). They will bend out alot easier then.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Eagle Claw 215-A extra light wire cricket hook #6 with 8# line (I like my new Vicious panfish line). I know that's smaller than most use but it allows the minnow more action. My clients have landed 16# cats and 12# striper with them. A key to getting the hook out of the brush when using a light wire hook is defeating the limberness of the rod and the drag system of the reel. Reel down, rod in water and all, until the rod is pointed straight down at the hang up, then hold the spool so no drag will go out and then pull straight back, not up. Eight out of ten times the hook will straighten enough to come out of the brush and there is no shaking of the top spooking the fish.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my setup for fishing heavy cover with minnows. Spool your reel with 20lb power pro. Put on a bobber stopper, then a slip bobber, then attach a small barrel swivel with a polamar knot. To the barrel swivel attach about 18" of 10lb fluorocarbon to which you tie on a #4 extra light wire hook. Add on enough split shot at your swivel on the power pro to where your bobber is about 3/4 under water. With it like that, the crappie feel almost no resistance when taking the bait. When you get hung you will almost always straighten the hook. If it doesn't, just tie on another hook. You hardly ever have to retie the whole setup.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy thin wire jig hook from Simmons in Bessemer, AL (205-425-4720) for $35.00 per 1000. A few of use use on Talquin and they work great. Make sure you have your drag set, or you could lose a big one.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Eagle Claw 202 EL Aberdeen hooks and they straighten out pretty good with 6lb and really well with 8lb line.

Post Thanks / Like

just buy power pro 10/2

we fish submerged cedar trees and i have yet to lose a jig with power pro

Post Thanks / Like

jhef a local tackle store carries them in 1/32 and 1/16. simmons tackle in bessemer, al. they have stuff on ebay also. i will try to get the number for you if i can.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys i switched to the 10 lb line with a swivel and made some leaders out of 4 lb, so far so good, still looking local for the thin wire hooks