Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Set-up

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Set-up

Could someone post a picture of a typical trolling set up, I dont see anyone trolling in my area for crappie and not exactly sure how you should go about setting the line up to use for trolling.

Are you suppose to use a weight on the end to keep the line tight and at the dept that you want to troll.

Any suggestions or info on this would be a great help. Have vacation coming up soon and wanting to try some trolling while on the water. Dont have the best setup as far as boats go but would still like to give a good serious try when I am out there.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

This is the setup that I use to long line out the back of the boat. It works for me! I hope this helps... If you're looking to spider rig you can look back at some old posts and get plenty of ideas.
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I am FAR from an expert on trolling, but I have had some success with my method, which I learned by watching a local down in MS. I have a five rod rack that fits around my front seat mount (purchased from Grizzly Jig Co for about $50). I put 4-5 rods in there, each with different colors on them to start, and different depths. I do my trolling when I go to MS each March, and stay in the trees while I'm doing it. I set my trolling motor on the lowest setting, and only bump it when I need to keep the boat moving, or turning. I will also keep one pole in my and, and jig it around the trees as I pass. I had two very productive days doing this last week, catching 21 fish the first evening, and my limit of 30 fish the next morning. I don't use any weight on the lines, other than the jig heads, which are 1/16 oz. By moving slowly, it allows me to keep a fairly consistent depth, without having too much line out. If I find that I am getting hung up frequently, I will shallow up my line. I have my best luck down there in about 3-4 FOW fishing about 18 inches deep.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't need a picture for mine, LOL! Just take a rod and reel, throw your little 1/32 oz. jig as far as you can and drag it behind the boat while you hold it. If a fish hits, pull your rod forward a good bit to set the hook if he's going your way.

That is what I like best about my way is I can pretty much relax and enjoy. I do have some rod holders and if I need to get up for a minute I can use one then or if in the summer mode and I need to put it down for a bit I use one then too, LOL!

For sure I never want 6 or 8 rods out the front and side of my boat as that then becomes work and if you get two on at the same time that is not good and then the possibility of three or more at once? No not going to do that.

Really try it, you will like it.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bc1448;748081]This is the setup that I use to long line out the back of the boat. It works for me! I hope this helps... If you're looking to spider rig you can look back at some old posts and get plenty of ideas.
    Blake

Thanks for the input we are only allowed to use 2 rods here in Pa, i was trying to find out the set up for the jigs on the line. You answered that trolling slow the jigs should keep themselves pretty much at the depth that you want to fish.

Would I ever like to try spider rigging just couldnt afford the fines here as well as loosing your equipment. Could get a bit expensive...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    You don't need a picture for mine, LOL! Just take a rod and reel, throw your little 1/32 oz. jig as far as you can and drag it behind the boat while you hold it. If a fish hits, pull your rod forward a good bit to set the hook if he's going your way.

That is what I like best about my way is I can pretty much relax and enjoy. I do have some rod holders and if I need to get up for a minute I can use one then or if in the summer mode and I need to put it down for a bit I use one then too, LOL!

For sure I never want 6 or 8 rods out the front and side of my boat as that then becomes work and if you get two on at the same time that is not good and then the possibility of three or more at once? No not going to do that.

Really try it, you will like it.

Skip
    thanks Skip

You dont have any problems keeping the 1/32 jig down to the depth you want trolling that way. Seems like mine never get down deep enough and have to go to heavier jigs.

Again maybe I am getting impatient looking for the first crappie of the year and fishing to fast.

Thanks for the imput

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I didn't know! If you are ever down towards the VA way and you want to give it a try just shoot me a PM and we can get together and fish. Hey skiptomylu... when you get four and five on at the same time is when the fishing gets really exciting!!! :D:D:D
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bc1448 View Post
    Sorry I didn't know! If you are ever down towards the VA way and you want to give it a try just shoot me a PM and we can get together and fish. Hey skiptomylu... when you get four and five on at the same time is when the fishing gets really exciting!!! :D:D:D
    Blake
    Blake

What part of VA are you located not a far drive from here and some vacation time coming up maybe I will take a drive down that way and take a try at something I have always wanted to try.

Be a good learning experience I would say for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the southern part of the state about 35 miles north of Danville.
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I basically used the same method that skiptomylu uses, varying my jig weight and speed, to control the depth. I use 2 rod holders on the front of my pontoon boat. When the bite is good, it's hard to decide which rod to grab first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast