Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old School

I have been reading this forum for a long time now and have learned a bunch...

I just dont see the need for all this high tech stuff y'all use.......i'm by far not a pro but i do catch my fair share.....i dont need a gps to tell me where i am cause i'm there....depth finder would be ok but dont have that either.....my idea of a fish finder is a bent rod..........and sonar?dont even know what it does.

Years ago gramps used to take me fishin and we had no electronics and still caught fish with a cane pole.......

I dont argue that the hi-tech stuff works but people been catching fish for a long time before that stuff was around,so i figure...use the money for more needed stuff like rods,reels,bait...and drinks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishman247

I just dont see the need for all this high tech stuff y'all use.......i'm by far not a pro but i do catch my fair share.....i dont need a gps to tell me where i am cause i'm there....depth finder would be ok but dont have that either.....my idea of a fish finder is a bent rod..........and sonar?dont even know what it does.

Years ago gramps used to take me fishin and we had no electronics and still caught fish with a cane pole.......

I dont argue that the hi-tech stuff works but people been catching fish for a long time before that stuff was around,so i figure...use the money for more needed stuff like rods,reels,bait...and drinks
    I agree with what you are saying but you know, we got to have a new toy once in a while. Like when they came out with the new Buck Rogers ray gun. I had to have one of them. (I guess I'm showing my age). Personally, a lot of them do help but others give me something to do when the fish aren't biting. Like trying to figure out how to use it. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, if I ain't been spending money I ain't been fishing. Besides, look at all the people I help support with all the whiz-bangs and flashy-pretties I buy. I ain't in this for roughing it.

It's kind of like air conditioning.

I used to have a car, my first one, ran like a top, but it didn't have air conditioning except goin' sixty mph with the windows rolled down. I still remember that old car, a 1952 Chevrolet and I had a lot of fun with it and in it, but if I had to make the choice of going back to that Chevrolet or keeping the quiet, comfortable, AND AIRCONDITIONED Buick I've got now why there'd be no problem choosing. Yep, it was good enough for me then and it no doubt was far better than the car my father started with, but today? That's no choice at all.

It's great to remember that old car, though. My first date, my first drive-in movie. Lot's of fond memories, but today when the temp gets up into the high 90's and even breaks 100 once in a while, I don't even think about that old chevy. You see, I need that air-conditioning and I don't think I could go back to doing without it.

My fish finder is like that. I could fish without it, but why on earth would I ever want to?

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The use of electronics has increased my fish catch 100 fold. There are times of the year that I do not need electronics whatsoever, but that is because the fish are on the bank and I have a cane pole in my hand. I have put out, and found brushpiles that have produced huge numbers for me that are in the middle of the lake that I could not find without a depthfinder. Not to mention knowing my exact depth, finding the exact dropoff, finding baitfish, or hundreds of other things. I plan to upgrade my eletronics for the future.

Bottom line, my electronics have cut down the number of days I don't catch many fish. I can find and catch fish without the electronics, but it would take me hundreds of hours to learn what I can learn with my depthfinder in one day. I can make decisions about my fishing that I couldn't do without a depthfinder, or water temp, or GPS, or anything else. I am definately a huge fan of my electronics.
    Last edited by David Waters; 07-31-2005 at 07:17 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Stated David

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    The use of electronics has increased my fish catch 100 fold. There are times of the year that I do not need electronics whatsoever, but that is because the fish are on the bank and I have a cane pole in my hand. I have put out, and found brushpiles that have produced huge numbers for me that are in the middle of the lake that I could not find without a depthfinder. Not to mention knowing my exact depth, finding the exact dropoff, finding baitfish, or hundreds of other things. I plan to upgrade my eletronics for the future.

Bottom line, my electronics have cut down the number of days I don't catch many fish. I can find and catch fish without the electronics, but it would take me hundreds of hours to learn what I can learn with my depthfinder in one day. I can make decisions about my fishing that I couldn't do without a depthfinder, or water temp, or GPS, or anything else. I am definately a huge fan of my electronics.
    I am a firm believer in these gadgets. Wonder why???lol
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Buck Rodgers ray gun...wow...the toy I wanted was Rockem-Sockem Robots..
    \

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I agree with what you are saying but you know, we got to have a new toy once in a while. Like when they came out with the new Buck Rogers ray gun. I had to have one of them. (I guess I'm showing my age). Personally, a lot of them do help but others give me something to do when the fish aren't biting. Like trying to figure out how to use it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile I hear you

My depth finder went kaput, dont know if its the trransducer, or the unit itself. But there are places where I have fished where that tool isn't really that important.GPS The lostess I have ever ben was with a GPS, went out on a large lake in very dense fog to test it out. Dale Hollow has many islands and creeks, and this was at night to add trouble. Well after almost running ashore, I just gave up and waited till day light, and found out where I was. And then I took my compass out of the trruck, and kept it in the boat.But those toys do make fishing a lot more fun.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Always used depthfinders and now gps and other hi tech gadgets help me. Truth is that all the gadgets make fishermen these days better. They used to catch a lot before all this stuff but fishing has changed. Lakes are crowded cover is disappearing over time. Electronics are just tools. You could hammer nails with a rock but a hammer is the most effecient tool. Gadgets make fishermen more effecient if they know how to use them. I would say that fishermen these days as a whole catch more fish than fishermen of yesteryear. There were the guys back then that hauled in boatloads but there were a lot that hauled water too. I enjoy fishing stumps with a cane pole when the fish are up shallow but 80% of the year I catch them on drops or underwater cover which I find with electronics although I can find most cover I fish by memory.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here.i do miss my depth finder it helped me find many great places which now i just remember because me boat now dont have one.the fish finder i dont miss.......it used to really bother me to see hundreds of fish and catch none,and see none and load a cooler........never owned a gps so i cant dog them.......i just started the thread to get some input on how much these things are used,and how much times have changed.........just like i much rather use a trolling motor than oars.........again i didn't mean to stirr nuthin up.

thanks for the info
    Josh in NC

Post Thanks / Like

Fishman247;;;;;;; I guess I'm the only one that agree's with your opinion, About old school. All i use is a fish/ depth finder more for depth, and thermometer, Fiberglass poles most of the time, And probally catch as many or more crappie than guy's having 1,000.00 to 2,000.00 $$"s in their rig's I just keep it simple, make's it more enjoyable when you can find-em by smell.

Kind of like my hunting, I stalk hunt, one on one. no dogs to run-em to me, no stands, for-em to come under, no sent's to throw them off,no baited feilds, no big game growing preserve. I use the wind, rain,eye's ,ears, and nose. hope i don't ruffle any feathers, all that other stuff is nice & useful, but not nessasary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast