Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Garmin GPS i3600

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Garmin GPS i3600

My wife has a Garmin Gps she uses in her car and I was thinking about getting some lake maps and load into the GPS; however, I know very little about the thing and do not know where to get maps that are compatiable with this unit.

Can anybody help?

Trihull

Post Thanks / Like

Trihull:
    Check out the www.garmin.com web site.
    http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

You can also call the people at garmin and find out more information on digital maps that will work with your wife's gps unit.

The garmin web site has lots of good information.

Basically what is needed is a cable to hook up the GPS to a computer. Usually they use a special connector on one end of the cable that will attach to your specific gps unit. Look on the back of your wife's gps unit and or read the manual to see if there is a special connection on the gps unit that will allow you to hook the unit up to a computer. The other end of the speical cable is normally a computer serial connector or a USB computer connector.

You connect the gps to the computer using this special cable. Then you load the garmin mapsource software onto your desktop computer. If your gps has internal memory then you MAY be able to download the data from your computer into your GPS's internal memory.

Some GPS units require memory cards to be inserted inside the gps unit. These data cards are already programed with the map data and once they are inserted inside the gps unit the map will show up on the display with the right button pushes.

Each gps unit is different and has different features

MY Garmin etrex VISTA handheld gps unit has internal memory and I have to install data onto my program on my decktop with a garmin mapsource CD. Then I download that map to my Vista with the special cable connector.

My Garmin eTrex VISTA gps came from Circuit City and the package came with the speical Vista/serial computer cable in the box.

I purchased another cable that allows me to power my etrex from a car's or boat's cigarette lighter via 12 volt dc power plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Trihull
    My wife has a Garmin Gps she uses in her car and I was thinking about getting some lake maps and load into the GPS; however, I know very little about the thing and do not know where to get maps that are compatiable with this unit.

Can anybody help?

Trihull
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moose, I will go to the Garmin site.

Trihull
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-31-2005 at 05:09 PM. Reason: space saving