Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it illegal or is it not?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it illegal or is it not?

There is an area I fish on the Tennessee river that has become the site of debate between many fisherman and fisherwomen. This is a very popular fishing area at a certain time of the year. It receives about as much traffic in and out as a major highway. The game and fish division flood alot of fields for several months prior to duck season. When duck season is over, they open the culverts up and let the backwater spill into the Tennessee River. This creates a fishermans paradise. I had heard either last year or the year before that they had outlawed snagging in the Tennessee River, and even saw it in a rule book somewhere. I have also heard there are 2 different books of rules. One stating snagging to be unlawful and the other one not mentioning it. One guy told me the book he has does not list it as a violation and that the game warden told him that he did not see it listed in the book either and would not ticket anyone for it. However there are several problems that arise from this. Keeping gamefish that are snagged by the process of snagging I am sure is illegal regardless if snagging itself is or is not. So now people have outsmarted even getting caught with a snaghook on their lines. The crappie are so thick in the area at times, that people tie on rattletraps and snag crappie by the 5 gallon buckets full. Us real fisherman do very good at times, but sometimes the fish can be pesky and not co-operate. We love the thrill of catching them the right way. It disgusts us to see so many of our fish being taken in a way we feel is not right. This has become so popular, that real fisherman can hardly fish the area at times for the people snagging. What irks me is that the game wardens are in the area alot ut never check licenses or anything very often. There were a few guys camping last week that fished 5 nights and caught 605 keepers. I fished Thursday night and gave away 47 keepers. I would just like to see the game and fish division do more. I know they cant stay there all the time but they could do more to stop the people from catching all those fish the wrong way. What are yalls thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I know where you are talking about and I've heard of the massive catches there. However, I have to say if you caught and kept 47 keepers whether you gave them away or not, you were over the limit also. Next time take me with you and I'll take them off your hands :O)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club of disgusted fishermen. Snagging was legalized here this year, and has been a hot topic for some time now. There used to be a time when a person could fish our reservoir spillways, nowadays you can't fish for all the people "chunkin & rippin" hooks through the water.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I just read in the Tennessee fishing regulations book online that it is illegal to keep gamefish that are taken by snagging methods. I believe that it was on page 34 of the online fishing reg book. If the people are using a rattle trap to snag fish, it is still snagging. A gamewarden could look at the fish and see if every one on a stringer has hook marks on its sides and tell if the person is snagging.

Post Thanks / Like

alabass, i was not over the limit as i gave them away a little at a time. I never had over the limit in my possession at any point in time. Some people who really fish honestly have a hard time catching them and I just try to be generous and give them fish. I also practice catch and release at times. So i try to not put myself in a situation to be over the limit. If I get a chance, i might carry you along sometime and would be glad to give you all i catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know so much as wether it's legal or illegal, but in my opinion it's unethical, kinda like hunting deer in a 20x20 pen if you know what I mean. The only time I'll keep a snagged fish is when I don't think it'll survive. Just keep your head up and keep doing things the right way and when you get the opportunity to speak with game officials let your voice be heard.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it, just don't dwell on it! What others do is beyond your control. You spoke of "our fish", well, it is public water so those fish belong to the others as much as you. Snagging is not the only method that upsets other people. There are people who think using 6 or 8 poles is unsportsmanlike. Others may think it unsportsmanlike to use live bait. Still others may think it unsportsman like to use electronics to find "hidden" schools of fish. I could go on, but I think I made my point. Make yourself happy and don't worry with what others do.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

crappieseeker if you stood there and caught 1000 fish and gave everyone away you would never be over the limit? Sounds to me like what you're doing (over the limit) isn't much different than snagging BOTH are violations (in certain states).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker View Post
    alabass, i was not over the limit as i gave them away a little at a time. I never had over the limit in my possession at any point in time. Some people who really fish honestly have a hard time catching them and I just try to be generous and give them fish. I also practice catch and release at times. So i try to not put myself in a situation to be over the limit. If I get a chance, i might carry you along sometime and would be glad to give you all i catch.
    So if I catch a limit and take them home then come back for another one, it is ok? Don,t matter how manny you had at a givin time, you kept over the limit in one day. Makes you just as guilty as anyone else. See what I mean about not worrying about others? Bet you do more stuff that someone else wouldn't like.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fellas, as the way I read it CrappieSeeker never stated he had in possession at any time over the limit. As the topic is about feelings about snagging....there are laws that have been legalized that I wont participate in even since it is legal. I can state my opinion about it but cannot condone anyone as long as they are legal. Ethical?!?....that's a matter of opinion which we all have that can/cannot be alike.

JMO
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast