Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Long rod vs. short rod ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long rod vs. short rod ?

I have always used a 5' UL rod for casting jigs for Crappie. I saw a 6'6" UL rod today and wondered what you would prefer and why ? Also will I notice longer cast more than a few feet with the long rod ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    will I notice longer cast more than a few feet with the long rod ? -Thanks

Yeah, that's one advantage. You also move more line on a hook set. And, because the fish have more leverage, they fieel bigger on a longer rod. My favorite bluegill/crappie rod is 12', but that's fishing from shore with a float. I'd go shorter in a boat.

Short rods are good in tight quarters and when fishing out of a tube (easier to land fish.)

I have a bunch of 4.5-5.5' rods, but I rarely use them anymore. Except for the circumstances I listed above, I don't think short rods do anything better than long rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a huge short UL type fisherman a few years back... but then I discovered I can throw a good bit farther and get extra reach from longer rods... I mainly use my 6-6 and 7' poles for everything now... I mainly cast jigs for crappie but I do jig docks and these seem to be perfect for it.
    Don't get me wrong the short UL rods have their place, mainly for confined area fishing like mentioned above... but my 7'er is ultra sensitive and gets me to places better then my ULs.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned before the length of the rod that you use is determined by the fishing situation... I like to have several (usually 12) rods of different lengths so that I have most situations covered! :D By the way... this is the same excuse that I use when I tell my wife that I need to buy a new fishing rod!!! :D:D:D
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

I was big on bass fishing for years and then spent 11 years on the coast chasing red fish and then back here. I fished cor crappie all the time I was bass fishing just not my main target most of the time. When I jumped in 100% or close to that crappie I had a good many spinning reels and some UL rods as well as a few just light action. Used them for a good while, but then after reading about how much better it was to use a 10' or longer pole I bought 3 and the more I used them the more I like them. As well as the more things it made easier.

Example: Summer fishing I fish a good bit in 21'+ depth water and lots of times they are like 12' down and the long pole makes it so you really don't or hardly use your reel and just lift. The depth is easier too since you know how long the pole is just hold it up and have the jig say 2' longer and put it in.

Then trolling if the wind is blowing a bit using a short rod like I use to there was a risk of getting your line in the prop of the big motor and that risk goes down a lot using a 10' pole because you line is a lot farther away from the boat.

Anyway that is a little of why use a long pole, but there are lots more.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy anything shorter than 6'6" now and I used to be a big fan of the little 5 foot UL rods. Longer distance and better hooksets.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Save the short ones for dock shooting and get ya some 7 footers for casting.