Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fizzing deep crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fizzing deep crappie?

Has anyone ever used the syringe technique to "decompress" a crappie caught below 25' or so? If so, how exactly are yousupposed to do it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Real Easy

I Get A Filet Off One Side Then Turn Him Over And Get One From The Other Side And Throw The Rest Away....... Never Heard Of It....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

OSS, you are thinking of "sizzling" after its in the frying pan, not fizzing, lol. Most times if a fish is having difficulty stabilizing after coming from deep water I will take my rod and using the second or third eye from the tip repeatedly shove it nose down towards the bottom. Often if you can get them a couple feet under the surface, pointed downwards, they will take off on their own. Have used it during the winter up with fish caught up to 40'. Have fizzed bass but never a crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are talking about what I think you are.... we learned to just use the handle end of the rod and thump them good a time or two behind the gill plate and they will take off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jiggin View Post
    If you are talking about what I think you are.... we learned to just use the handle end of the rod and thump them good a time or two behind the gill plate and they will take off
    I do this also and have never had one die!

Post Thanks / Like

The question is are you trying to return short Crappies or save tournament fish so they don't die?

If you are looking to release short fish try the light tap behind the gill plate. If the fish is still unresponsive try a rig like the one shown. You can make one out of some heavy sinkers and a coat hanger. Hook 'em under the chin in the gill plate and plunk them over the side. make sure you stop short of the bottom so you don't drive their heads into a hard bottom.

As far a fizzing with a Hypo. It's best to learn in person to find that spot where the bladder can be deflated without damaging internal organs. If you feel you need to know, I would post this question on the Main board and see if anyone has a diagram or picture for ya.

G.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, normally I don't care so much, but am entering a tourney and have caught a few nice ones down about 30' and would hate to show up with them dead. They actually don't appear to be dead, their gills are still moving, but they float sideways on the surface of the livewell. I don't know what the protocol would be if you showed up with some fish in that state, not dead, but not totally alive, they may think you have living dead zombie fish and automatically disqualify you!

Post Thanks / Like

I had another thought.
    Go to CrappieUSA.com. Go to contact us and email or call Darrell Van Vactor. He's fizzed thousands of Crappie when they were running Crappiethon. He may be able to describe the process.

G.
    Standing in the Gap