Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on an outboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on an outboard

Has any one replaced the water pump impeller in their outboard? I’m going to try to replace the water pump impeller in mine. It’s an ‘86 35hp Mercury outboard. I’ve studied the parts diagram on Mercury’s web site and the motor very close. I’m not a marine mechanic, but I’m an auto and heavy equipment mechanic, so I’m not new to repairing things. The parts diagram looks like the impeller is about where the lower unit bolts on to the mid section. It looks like removing the lower unit is pretty straight forward a few bolts and the torque fin, and it’s off. My question is, are the any surprises (balls, springs, anything that might fall out with out me knowing where it went) that I need to know before I start tearing in to it? I tried looking for a manual on it, on the biggerhammer site, but they didn’t have one for the 35hp so I’m using the 30/40hp manual and it is for a 10 year newer motor. I’m sure some things have changed over 10+ years.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Hey man go to this website he got a video on replacing it check it out.

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy, if you're a mechanic. Easy to just about anyone for that matter. Lower units haven't changed much in 50 years. And if anything falls out when you drop it down, don't put it back in, cause it don't belong.LOL All the parts are inside the housing.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

The only tricky part can be the shift linkage. I had a 80's Mariner 25, which is the same as a Merc. On it, I removed the starter, which made access to the shift linkage much easier. If I remember correctly, it just had a spring clip similar to the one's they used to use on cars for the carb linkage. Depending on what type of water the motors been run in, like sandy or muddy, you might have to replace more than the impellor if there's scoring in the housing or bottom plate.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the mercurays that i have pulled has a spline shalft tha turns to shift the gears .mariner is different . that is the old chrysler dezine that mercuray bought . make sure you put it in foward and leave it till you put it back . the foot and the throddle box or it want be matched .
    Last edited by papasage; 07-30-2005 at 04:36 AM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stray
    Has any one replaced the water pump impeller in their outboard? I’m going to try to replace the water pump impeller in mine. It’s an ‘86 35hp Mercury outboard. I’ve studied the parts diagram on Mercury’s web site and the motor very close. I’m not a marine mechanic, but I’m an auto and heavy equipment mechanic, so I’m not new to repairing things. The parts diagram looks like the impeller is about where the lower unit bolts on to the mid section. It looks like removing the lower unit is pretty straight forward a few bolts and the torque fin, and it’s off. My question is, are the any surprises (balls, springs, anything that might fall out with out me knowing where it went) that I need to know before I start tearing in to it? I tried looking for a manual on it, on the biggerhammer site, but they didn’t have one for the 35hp so I’m using the 30/40hp manual and it is for a 10 year newer motor. I’m sure some things have changed over 10+ years.
    They really aren't that hard to replace. But do yourself a favor and have your Merc dealer order a manual for your motor. They are not that much more than Clymers or Seloc but at least you don't have to read sections over and over to see if they apply to your motor. The only disadvantage is that they asssume you know the basics for working on a motor. It sounds like you have that well covered. The first repair you make, it has paid for itself plus you will have it for future reference.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Little tip...

...on putting the impeller back into the housing......lightly lube fins of impeller, then slide back on shaft, then slide cover back on shaft, turning shaft slowly so that impeller turns ClockWise slide cover onto impeller it will work itself inside......this was the hardest part of the job.....also make sure you don't turn shift linkage as its threaded on bottom and you might have to readjust cables if you do.........one more little tip, if your lower unit does'nt slide all the way in upon reassembly..turn flywheel on motor slightly so gears mesh..........have fun...Good Luck!!! :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Well I got the lower unit off the motor and found out what parts I need this morning. It went real well with no problems at all. Thanks to every one that helped and I hope I have the chance to repay the favor some day.
    Last edited by stray; 07-30-2005 at 11:44 PM.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin