Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First boat (to be) and would like opinions

bnlfan Guest

Default First boat (to be) and would like opinions

I am going to buy my first boat ever and here it is. I would like your opinions.
    The cost is $9815.00 before taxes. If I buy before April 15th I get 5 years factory warranty on the motor.

2009 TRACKER Pro 16
    w/ 30 ELPT FourStroke EFI Motor and Trailer

Specifications
    Length 16' 1''
    Beam 70"
    Transom Height 20"
    Bottom Width 48"
    Max. Recommended HP 30 HP
    Max. Person Capacity 3 Persons
    Max. Person Weight 435 Lbs.

Max. Weight Capacity 855 Lbs.
    Hull Material 0.090 5052 Marine Alloy
    Weight (approx.) 665 Lbs.
    Fuel Capacity 6 Gallons
    Package Length 19' 6''
    Package Width 6' 4''
    Package Weight (approx.) 1272 Lbs.

Selected Options
    Additional options were not selected.

Standard Features
    Comfort, Safety & Convenience
    Non-skid bow mat
    Drink holder
    Battery tray

Flotation meets or exceeds NMMA & U.S. Coast Guard requirements
    Bow & stern eyes
    Construction
    All-welded, 1-piece hull construction
    All-welded aluminum transom
    Extruded 1-piece, heavy-duty gunnel

Injected, compressed hull foam
    Marine-grade, cut-pile carpeting throughout
    MarineTech® pressure-treated floors & decks w/limited lifetime warranty
    Dash/Console
    Molded console w/built-in drink holder
    Midnight Lazer switch panel
    Mercury® control box

Molded, tinted plexiglass windscreen
    Navigation light, aerator & bilge toggle switches
    Electrical
    Interstate® cranking/trolling battery
    12V trolling motor harness

Stowable navigation lights
    500 GPH (1,892.71 LPH) bilge pump
    Electronics
    Lowrance® X51 Pro fish finder w/surface temperature, battery monitor & swivel

Interior
    Carpeted step to aft deck
    Port rod holders w/organizer for 4 rods
    Fold-down helm & buddy fishing seats
    Bow & aft fishing seats

Bow trolling motor deck w/non-skid surface
    Passenger underseat storage
    Elevated bow & aft casting decks w/storage
    Livewell Systems
    Aerated bow livewell w/recess for bait bucket

500 GPH (1,892.71 LPH) aerator pump
    Trailer
    Color-coordinated drive-on trailer
    EZ lube hubs
    12" (30.48 cm) tires w/Silver Metallic powder-coated wheels
    Folding tongue jack w/swivel wheel
    Nylon tie-down straps

Winch strap w/safety strap
    Submersible lights
    Welded tubular frame
    Transom saver
    Non-skid fender pads
    Trolling Motor
    MotorGuide® 12V, 46-lb. thrust, 36" (.91 m) shaft, foot-controlled trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy bigger and used. Just my opinion though. Let someone else eat the cost up front.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with slimeyslab, bigger. Used is the best buy, if you can find what you like. If you do buy used take to the lake and run it a long time to see if there is any problems before you buy. You can't always tell if there is a problem just by running it in the yard. Good luck.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

How about you tell us a little about why you have decided upon this boat?
    What kind of lakes do you fish? How do you fish? How many people are you wanting to fish out of it? What sort of price range are you in? Are you wanting aluminum only or would you also look at fiberglass? Are you dead set on having a console?

After you answer these questions everyone here will have a better idea of what to suggest. What might work well fishing slow rivers full of snags may not be the best bet for fishing a shallow rocky river or a large lake. If you plan on spider rigging or just casting jigs it will determine what style of boat you should lean towards.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a very cheaply made boat. The hull is thin, it's underpowered, and it uses cheap components. My advice is to get a used 17' boat with at least a 40hp motor if it's a tiller steer or a 60 if it has a console. And don't borrow money to buy the thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I own the riveted version of this boat with a 40 Merc. I can tell you that after a days fishing in moderately rough water my back is killing me from the wallowing. Also if someone is on the back every move they make will be magnified. The casting decks raise the center of gravity, magnifying the motion. I usually fish alone so I'm satisfied. Other than lack of room, and the wallowing, I can't say anything negative about the boat. I usually use it in backwaters and rivers, but on Talquin I have to eat Tylenol PM to sleep that night! I wanted the panfisherman (same hull), but got the bass boat for less. Still want the panfisherman. Lesson learned (again): Don't settle for what you don't want to save a little!
    I looked at the new model in Desin the other day and noticed the livewell has been moved to the front deck and there was no built in fuel tank. Mine has a built in 12 gallon tank under the rear deck. Still a fine little boat for protected waters though.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest regret was buying a brand new tracker grizzly. shouldve listened to JR and bought a used boat. As i am going thru my paper work, tracker failed in going over boat and motor operation. I think the rigging crew knocked sum things loose on my Wesco trailer. If i was you, Id shop around for comparable boats like Duracraft, Stumpknocker, G3, WarEagle, etc. Believe it or not, local dealers will know better about wut boat suits the area you plan on fishing. Also can set you with a deal with a higher hp outboard for same or less price than the tracker itself. besides its hard to get smushed minnows out of the carpet and handling dipbait in a carpeted boat is a death sentence.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

It is a good boat. I am sure you will enjoy it. 10k is a good investment and like the others I recommend a used boat first, get a fair boat and trailer and invest in a new motor. (If this is your first boat) If not go for it!! The alum boats last forever. I have the PF 16 tracker and only differance is I sit inside the boat. Little more out of wind and less rocking in rough water.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2001 I bought a used boat (1998 boat with a 1999 motor). It was about half the price of new boat. It was the second boat I had bought (both used). I anticipated a problem with the second boat. It ended up to be a problem with the trailer. Finally got the manufacturer to correct the problem at their cost. Have had no problem since. The first boat I had a problem starting the motor and finally figured it out (heavy wire touching the choke). Turned the wire 180 degrees and no problem starting the motor from then on.

Would I buy another used boat if I was in the market. Yes. You can get a lot more for your money buying used.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man if you like it and have checked it out and like it for the price then buy it and enjoy it have a good time fishing and good luck.
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast