Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crawdads in the pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default crawdads in the pond

anybody know anything about this? anyone ever try this, I been thinking about rasing some craws, for food and fish bait, gonna dig a shallow pond to raise them in. them got to thinking maby just put them in the big pond and trap them for later, any thoughts,

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'd need a way to keep them from migrating. Some farms around here started raising fresh water shrimp. They are sold out the day after harvest. They're good and the restaraunts also buy them.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

bet some of them old boys on the la board can help,,just a thought
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fuzzy. speck I thought about them fresh water shrimp, my brother gave me some and them things were darn good, and big also. I was gonna use three inch pvc pipe to go arround the top. figured it would be to slick to climb.

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle, I sell PVC pipe and Mechanical Pipe for a living. I can get you the PVC at cost if that will help you?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WantinCrappie View Post
    Beagle, I sell PVC pipe and Mechanical Pipe for a living. I can get you the PVC at cost if that will help you?

WHO DO YOU SELL PIPE i lay pipe for, i lay pipe for a living?????
    Remember, We all live down stream!
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle, this goes way back (school year 71/72) I was a senior in college and we got a grant from the US Gov. to grow fresh water shrimp to test for growth rates and feed conversion etc. We hatched these fresh water hybrid shrimp in Sept. and took care of them until late April. Some of the biggest were 6 in. long and it was killer to eat. (we had to something with them at the end of the school year) Anyway, they have a growth rate that is unsurpassed by anything that I ever seen. As far as wild crawfish, the ones that I see in my spring fed creek, the growth rate is just pretty slow, still good to eat but it will take more than several years to get enough and big enough to eat.

Just my opinion and experience.
    Last edited by ship; 03-24-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When we cleaned out my old pond, whe pushed up a dam in the upper end, and made a silt basin/bait pond that would spill over into the big pond. Stocked it mainly with bluegill, bullheads for throwline bait. However, I found a spillway a couple years ago where they were draining a wetland, and we were literally castnetting them by the hundreds. BIG ONES. I bet I put 500 of them in that lil pond (probably 40' x 60') and the next year, couldnt get a crawdad out of it. I heard they leave, but I woulda thought some would stay. Same way w/ shad, but I figured they didn't have enough oxygen.
    I am interested in this fresh water shrimp raising.... I want some more info on that!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's been my experience that crawdads prefer and do better in moving water or a body of water that has a current in it. I don't know if this is a requirement or not but I usually just find crawdads in moving water, cleaner water the better. Has anyone been to jolly mill park south of Monett, they have giant crawdads there just below the dam in the running water. I mean real good eating size. If they were shrimp they would be a 12 or 14 count to the pound.

Post Thanks / Like

we use to noodle jolly mill when I was a kid heck I had forgot all about them. guess I will google the fresh water shrimp and see what I can come up with, thanks all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast