Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best all-around fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best all-around fishing line

I currently use 6lb Triple Fish Camo, but I'm finding it a little to invisible above the water. Just wandering what you guys thought was the best all around crappie line for trolling, tightlinning, etc. and why.

Post Thanks / Like

whew, that is a whole can of worms! But in my opinion, for a reasonable
    priced, do-anything line, Berkley Trilene XL is still hard to beat.
    I have been swapping back and forth between Fireline and Vanish or
    Transition flourocarbon for my trolling - put Transition on this Spring,
    and it seems to be losing its ability to turn gold above water over time.
    After using it for awhile, I can't tell much difference between it and regular
    clear Vanish now. Think I'm going back to flame green fireline when I
    re-spool, haven't tried the pink yet, may give it a shot. P-line CXX is ok
    too, but not just crazy about it. Haven't tried the Ironsilk yet, can anyone
    give a report on it? I almost miss the old days when there weren't so many
    choices!
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Default my choice

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKED
    I currently use 6lb Triple Fish Camo, but I'm finding it a little to invisible above the water. Just wandering what you guys thought was the best all around crappie line for trolling, tightlinning, etc. and why.
    I like 20/6 spider wire or power pro, add a fluro leader, and you have a sensative and durable set up.If you are going to be in a lot of snags, 30/8 of either braids, and a 15 lb floru leader.Just my choice, but for mono fishing, I like the spider wire mono in 6 lb test.

Post Thanks / Like

Wally Marshall Crappie Pro for anything under 12 lbs, trilene big game for anything over 12 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Sten gold 6/8lb for crappie. I fish 4 jigs per pole, and some days there are tangles. With the gold line it's easer for me to untangle.
    I don't know if the fish can see it, but at my age at least I can!

Trilene XT 12lb. for trout and red fish and other larger fish.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fishin line

I have used golden stren for years---never fished gin clear water but I don,t see any difference from the guys fishin other lines
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. I have been wanting to try some of the high vis lines, but wasn't sure how visible it was underwater. I fish mostly murky water anyway, probably not a big deal.

Knot strength is also very important. My son and I were fishing the other day. He was throwing a topwater (for bass). He yells, "I got him". I turn around and see his med heavy rod doubled over. He gets her to the side of the boat. She looks at us and shows us the 4" plug that she has crossways in her mouth. One last shake, and she leaves us with 10 lb test dangling in the wind. Where's the net when you need it. She looked to be about 8-10 lbs, so I didn't think the line should have snapped like that. However, my gear had been stored in the outside storage bldg most of the summer and I am sure the line suffered in the heat. KNOT STRENGTH.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation here's a line comparison article ...

you might find it interesting .......

http://www.nybass.com/illustrated/ar...neshootout.htm

Personally, I've found Trilene XL to be a very good line for UL reels (small diameter spools) ... and BPS Excel to be just as good, and less expensive. I have started using Iron Silk 4lb & 6lb ... and my fishing partner uses Stren Gold in 4lb (mostly for casting jigs) - seems there's a tradeoff with hi-vis lines or "coated" lines. You can see them better, but they don't seem to lay on the smaller UL spools as well as some "other" lines (like XL). I've also started using 10/2 PowerPro Yellow & PowerPro 8/1 Moss Green ... so far they have performed to expectations, but I haven't really had them in use long enough to really test them. On the reels with larger/wider spools - the "colored" lines seem to work well. The braids seem to work fine on any size line spool. If I'm fishing titeline or with a float ... BPS Excel or Trilene lines in 4-8lb test work fine - it's just when I'm casting (when I need to "see" the line movements) that I'm dependant on "colored/hi-vis" lines. I don't fish many lakes that have "drinking water" clarity ... most are stained to green to murky in color/clarity (visibility of less than 2ft), and I've still caught Crappie as often with hi-vis lines, as with lo-vis lines. I've even had them come near the surface and strike a jig, right at the side of the boat - in less than 1ft of water, and with the jig less than 2ft from the end of the rod ... while using hi-vis lines. There may be circumstances or times when the hi-vis lines may cost you a hit or two ... but, for me, that is offset by the ability to see the line, and any subtle movement of it (light bite). I figure I'm more likely to have caught a fish, even a light biter, with the ability to see the hit - than depending on feeling the hit, while using a clear/fluor line, that I can't see a lot of the time.
    Just MHO .............. luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking line

ihave tried that vanish stuff and i dont care for it. i tried the trilene xl 6# and its ok but my fav is still stren clear/blue 6#. i do a lot of fishing under a shy bite cork and alot of cast n retrieve a # 5 rapala on a ul rig and have no problems bringing even nice bass to the boat.the only problem i have found and cant seem to correct is line twist .after about 2- 3 hrs of fishing the line tnds to twist up on me and i end up cutting a few feet off so my wife complains about me buying twine every other week. i also tried that pro line it was good on my larger reels but really crappie on my u/l gear so i went back to mono.
    good luck
    keep it wet
    take akid fishing
    :p keep it wet
    take a kid fishing
    born to fish
    forced to work :p

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've started using Sufix 6lb on the red spool. I don't know what the difference is but the red spool stuff seems to be stronger than the blue spool line.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast