Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Google Earth Fishing Maps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Google Earth Fishing Maps

Recently downloaded the new Google Earth program and I am impressed. Thought some of you guys might want to check out some lakes on it.

The detail is pretty nice but it is best around cities. If the lake is in one of the higher detailed areas you can even see boat docks!

Here is the link to the free download: http://earth.google.com/

Click on the "Get Google Earth (Free Version)" link in the middle of the page. Once installed you have the Globe in the palm of your hands.

~Fishin' Magician~
    Last edited by Fishin_Magician; 08-02-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maps

Dear Fishin Magician, thanks! I just downloaded it and it's awesome. How do you use it? I've found several lakes that I fish regularly on it. It's amazing what you can see with this. But still can't see the fish :p Here's a pic of one of my favorite local lakes. Lake George in Hobart, Indiana
    Attached Images Attached Images  

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Papasage, I been real pleased with it also. And you can get real close in too.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terraserver/Google

I have been using Terraserver for several years, but have only recently had a look at the Google maps. Google maps have brightly colored sections that have almost no resolution in close up, but it's so much faster to navigate. I bring up Google and if the lake I'm interested in is the bright green, I go back to Terraserver to see the detail I need, so I have to say I use both.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Google needs to get with the program and give us the high detail for the entire map.

I agree with labill that it is easier to navigate. I think that is the real advantage of it. But it seems the cities are the only areas with the Terraserver level of detail.

Maybe they will recognize that outdoorsmen need maps too and go high detail on all the lakes, rivers, and state parks.

I wonder how much detail is allowed in foreign countries and military areas... Seems like that would be a national safety risk... Maybe that why so many of these pictures are multiple years old as well.

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Default New possible use...

Figured out something cool we can do with Google Earth. You can take snap shots of maps like Mike did above with Lake George Hobart then add waypoints or markers to the map to indicate areas you have found fish or are planning on fishing. One use would be to ask if an area of the lake you plan to fish is worth a shot. Another use would be to show other members what areas of the lake the fish have been biting.

Here is an example...

I am headed out to Cypress this weekend so asking the guys on the LA boards if those two "!" marked areas are a decent place to start.

Just thought you guys might use this to better communicate locations of the lake when sharing tips.

~Fishin' Magician~
    Last edited by Fishin_Magician; 08-02-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Maps

Fishinmagician, interesting post. I do think these maps could help people talk about specific places on the lake where they are catching them. If they want to share the info