Default Running late

Running Late, here is your coffee

------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't beat a good cup and a good story.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Coffee is the vice I feel least guilty about.

So PawPawGene... what's with the paw paw in your nick name? Do you pick the fruit or is it reference to your familial status -- or both. I usually try to venture into the dank mosquito and tick infested paw paw groves several times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

George, coffee is a passion to me. It's funny that you ask about Paw Paw. I have never seen much less eaten a pawpaw. I love fruit of all kinds and grow all that I can. I have mulberries, loquart, oranges, blackberries, strawberries, muscadines and table grapes growing across my yard. I sure would like to try them, but I know of no place around here that has any. Mosquito infested sounds right at home to me. I'd love to join you on a jaunt one day. Nothing like fruit ripe on the vine, bush or tree.

It's your second guess, yes I'm PawPaw "gene" to 11 of those young'uns. It was made popular by my grandson Logan and it has spread even to friends.

"gene"

Post Thanks / Like

Coffee is one of my passions as well, many moons ago I was employed as a barista in a little cafe that did terrible business. Over the course of one of my 12 - 16 hour shifts the owner and I would easily drink more coffee than the combined total consumed by paying customers. Business was slooowwwwww but the coffee was supreme. Now I stick to no more than two or three double shot espressos per day prepared in my kitchen.

Here in Kansas I find paw paws in deep river bottoms while hunting late summer and early autumn mushrooms. The groves, and individual trees for that matter, are fickle about producing in a given year, but when they do the harvest can be great. Last year people were collecting them by the boat full along some of the smaller rivers. At least one local restaurant took advantage of the abundance and had paw paw cheesecake on the menu for a couple months.

One or two paw paw cultivars have been developed that are supposed to be reliable producers. Several years ago I planted a few but they were killed by a sudden swarm of grasshoppers. In one 24 hour period the bugs emerged and ate everything in site, including the bark from five or six of my apple trees, only one apple survived and produced for the first time last year -- a single apple specimen several years late -- no pie just yet haahaa

So, 11 young'uns, no wonder you need to plant all that fruit haahaa.

I'm putting out some black berries and cherries in a few days, muscadines grow wild around here and mulberries are practically a weed. In the maintained portion of our yard (approximately 1.5 acres) we probably have between ten and twenty volunteer mulberry trees. On the total 40 acres an inventory would likely reveal close to a thousand mulberry trees, it's crazy.
    Last edited by georgem; 03-23-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A thousand mulberry trees, talk about some mulberry wine. Great stuff. Bugs can be terrible can't they. Aphids wiped out my okra crop last year. I have never seen them like that. They showed up one week and by the time I realize the scope of the assault it was too late. They suck those plants to death. I watching closely this year and my guns are loaded.

"gene"

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm running real late today but I will enjoy a cup of coffee anytime :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4