Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pomme de Terre 3/20 to 3/22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pomme de Terre 3/20 to 3/22

My dad and I had a tough weekend of fishing on Pomme de Terre. We saw three distinctly different days of weather, with Saturday downright miserable until evening. Bottom line is the crappie were not very active, and we had to work very hard to catch the 13 keepers we boated for the weekend.

Caught five keepers and two shorts Friday, all in the evening. Four of the keeps came on a brush pile and one from a deadfall. We didn't boat a fish on Saturday until evening. All came from brush piles, with five more keepers including a white that made 13 inches.

Today we saw the air temp go up 20 degrees to 71, but it only helped the humans. We caught fish in standing timber presenting a tube next to the wood. I got three keepers and three shorts. One measured 13 1/4 (a black). Lost a couple good ones too.

The water temp ranged from 49 to 52, with the warmest readings found on Friday and early Saturday before the rain cooled the water. The best we found today was 51 before packing up and heading back north at noon.

Ironically, the last time my dad and I fished together was January 31 on the ice up here. It was sunny and mild that day with temps in the low 60s, and we caught about 60 fish, mostly nice bluegills. My dad remarked today that he had more clothes on yesterday in the cold rain than he did that day!

Many thanks to all who fed me tips on fishing the lake. I really enjoyed myself and look forward to another Missouri crappie adventure in the future.

Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by fstask; 03-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Be Worse

You Know Missouri Weather Come Back Tomorrow And 40 Mph Winds Then Tuesday Probably 2 Mph Winds..... Mother Nature Can Sure Ruin Some Fishing Trips........try Truman Sometime And Maybe I Can Be Of More Help...... Oss
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Frank...I know getting down here was a long time comin' and I was hoping you and your dad would've slaughtered 'em. Kind of disappointing but I'm sure you guys had fun nonetheless. Bring him down again sometime...maybe next time will produce more fish.

Post Thanks / Like

We were certainly disappointed, but we were fishing rather than being home. And it's always fun visiting a new lake that varies so much from what we're used to fishing.

One just can't control the weather, which is the great equalizer in fishing. March is always a tough month with so much variation in the conditions. Much like up here in Nebraska, it can be very up and down in Missouri too.

Heck, we have snow in the forecast for Friday and Saturday, with an expected high of 35 on Saturday. Looks like the boat will be in the garage for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough to plan anything this time of year. Looks like you got some nice ones though. Glad Ya'll had a good trip.
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Better luck next trip. but hey ya'll had a trip you can talk about for a long time. welcome back any time

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

Sorry that you didn't get on more fish. But just remember at least you were getting to spend some quality time with you dad.

Thanks for the report.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

I thought about your trip all weekend. I wish I had the time to go meet you and your dad and take you out. Pomme had been great earlier in the week and then over the weekend the weather acted like a yo-yo. It's always hard to plan a trip so far away, sometimes you hit it just right and sometimes you don't. However let us know when you make it back this way and we'll see if we can get hooked up.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Frank-Glad I got to talk to you on phone! I hope when you come back we can get together. I gave it up shortly after talking to you.......wind. I had em' found just could not stay on top of them. Glad ya got home safe!!!
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shockley32 View Post
    Frank,

I thought about your trip all weekend. I wish I had the time to go meet you and your dad and take you out. Pomme had been great earlier in the week and then over the weekend the weather acted like a yo-yo. It's always hard to plan a trip so far away, sometimes you hit it just right and sometimes you don't. However let us know when you make it back this way and we'll see if we can get hooked up.

Brad
    Thanks, Brad. I see tons of potential for the lake when conditions are better. The quality of the crappies we did boat was pretty darn good. Would love to hook up sometime down the road. Might try to get my wife down with me yet this spring.

We're interested in getting a summer cottage in the Ozarks sometime in the future, and she wants to check out Pomme, LOZ and Truman. I like the lake because it's more off the beaten path, but it may not be close enough to alternative activities when the weather is bad (shopping, movies etc.).

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast