Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower unit changeout - Need best parts supplier

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower unit changeout - Need best parts supplier

where is cheapest lower unit gaskets and water pump impeller for '88 Suzuki
    DT 150? Serial tag is 15001-804517

Just bought this 150, guy says he lost his prop and shaft in the drink. When I got home with it, I discovered the Shaft is broken off, and damage from end of case where I'm only guessing a keeper ring was installed. What would make a shaft break? A solid hit on the Prop, but not on the lower unit? Or is there other issues that might be the culprit. I was planning to put my lower unit off my 87 DT 150 SS, which had burned a piston. He told me his motor ran fine. Any guesses?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Outboard Parts for Outboard Motors by USBoatSupply has your motor listed. I usually get parts at boats.net but their site says they wont have Suzuki parts until April, 1. Hope this helps. You might also try iboats.com. Billy

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that i can think of that would cause that shaft to break would be that it was impropoerly heat treated and was made brittle. I have a little 25 hp merc and the shaft on mine was twisted and I have dinged some serious stuff. If you were to hit something hard enough to break your prop shaft there would be some significant damage to the gears and seals in the lower unit. I would drain the LU oil and start taking that bad boy apart and taking inventory of what is good and what needs to be replaced. Also as you drain the oil check it for A) metal particles attached to the magnetic drain plug and shavings that would be an indication of wear and tear and B) color of the oil, if it is cloudy like a caramel color it has gotten water in it and may be an indication of worn or missing seals.

Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no real known history of the engine.

We can assume that something had been hit...at some time.

It may not have been this prop that it was done with...but it set the break in motion.

The Marine Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, to there is no real history. The guy I bought it from says he didn't think he hit anything. He was running pretty much WOT, and all of a sudden motor over revved and he shut it down, only to find prop gone and no shaft. The housing at end where the seal and bearing are/were is torn up and unrepairable as far as I can see. That's why I'm changing my lower unit from my 150 SS to this 150 not an SS. I spent 2 days setting up the "gallows tree" for my chain hoist. All the trees in my yard and not one with a low branch big enough to hang a hoist on. I ordered the water pump from iboats.com and it's a Sierra kit. I believe I read on this forum, that was a good kit. I'll need to get a gasket for the lower unit mate surface. One question: Is it better to do this with the motor sideways or vertical?