Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: line weight for spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default line weight for spider rigging

I'm not going to ask what line is best, to many opinions for that. I will ask what weight line is best to put on the reel? Do you tie a snap on the end to make rig changes easier or just tie the rig on? Do you use 4 or 6# for leaders?
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Default My choice is braided...

in the 6# class down to a swivel then on to 4# spiderwire tipped w/ fastsnaps for easy jig change, but that's when I'm not using Kentucky rig/Capps and Coleman setups. I really like the fastsnaps 'cause I change up often until I find what they want. JMHO

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of my poles have 8lb, others with 6lb...both being mono. I have never tried any braids or copolymers, but I don't really see a need to try for the areas I fish. If you are using minnows, be sure to use light-wire, long-shank #4 or #6 (mostly sold under the cricket aberdeen variety). And trust me, I've caught lots of big fish on these hooks. And 6lb or 8lb line will straighten the hooks out...just bend back and you're set.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12# fluorocarbon-----I fish a lot of gar infested waters. Lighter lines just don't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

I do usually catch quite a few gar, in the 4-8lb range. I'll never bring one aboard again, so I just play them on top of the water until they come unbuttoned (good thing they usually come off in a few seconds with the hooks I use). I never have had one break the line though...All of my break-offs come from getting a snag that you can't "jiggle" off with the 3/4oz weight, which happens about once per fishing trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally use 8lb mono main line, 6lb leaders with C&C/Kentucky Rig. If just using a couple 1/8oz jigs, straight 6lb mono. Not sure it's the best, but what I use.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

ceb posted
    be sure to use light-wire, long-shank #4 or #6 (mostly sold under the cricket aberdeen variety).
    May I ask why the long-shank style hook? Does it have something to do with how U hook your minnow, how do U hook it thru the lips?? Thanks
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The hook tip I picked up from Jerry and Darryl, the AR guides. I usually go with the #4. They bend out fairly easy...but rarely lose a crappie (including 3lb crappie). Long shank really only serves to make it easier to un-hook the crappie. I always hook minnows through the eyes...I get 'em to stay on better that way, and a lot of times, catching a crappie won't knock them off. I've "re-used" the same minnow at least 3 times (3 fish) before when the bite was hot.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 pound throughout my rigs. from reel to hooks...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the answers, looks like I'm in the ball park with 10# on reel and 6# leaders.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast