Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water in Pontoon

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water in Pontoon

I heard some water sloshing in one of my pontoons the other day. I shook the boat...and there is water in the left pontoon. There is a plug on top for access, but I understand they are under air pressure. And if water has gotten inside, there must be a hole somewhere that needs to be repaired and the pontoon re-pressurized. Is this something a marina normally handles, or a boat repair shop? Its listing a little bit in the water..but not to bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default drain

Most have a drain at the back on the bottom. You may want to drain it and try it. I have heard of the threads on the plug leaking. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Umm, I don't know this for sure but I have never heard of them being pressurized. Maybe an inner liner but the pontoon themselves. If there is water in it then you have lost pressure anyway. Best I can think to get rid of it if there is no bottom drain would be to get a shop vac and hook up a narrow hose to it to suck out the water or whatever you can get in there to suck it up.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyone's advice. In case anyone else has the same type problem this is what I ended up doing. I took the pontoon to a welding shop. The welder drilled a hole in bottom of the pontoon, let out about 5 gallons of water. He then put a little bit of air pressure in from a cutting torch using the hole he just bored...found the leak on top where the brace was welded to the pontoon. Fixed the leak, welded up the drilled hole. Thanks again.