Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new pluegon fly rod @ bps

Post Thanks / Like

Default new pluegon fly rod @ bps

was looking at thier site and i see a new fly rod. i have never tired it but have been wanting to get into fly fishing ai se that their are 2 reviews of it and both are good. and what i like about it it want break the bank its at $49.99 so anybody hear and bad or good things abou this fly rod, thanks rob.

Post Thanks / Like

I would spend a little more and get the Scientific Anglers outfit:

Scientific Anglers Youth Fly Fishing Outfit

The Pflueger outfit may be a good one, but I don't know anything about it. Pflueger is not known for their fly fishing tackle. Scientific Anglers is. They are probably the leading fly line manufacturer in the world. I have never cast the Sci Anglers rod, but I have heard some very good casters praise it.

And it's not just the rod. With SA, you'll be getting a good fly line which is crucial. And the SA reels are fine.

More than with most types of fishing, you can really handicap yourself with less-than-adequate fly tackle. I'm not saying Pflueger is less-than-adequate, but I'd rather go with a known quantity like SA.

Amazon has all the SA "starter" outfits. I'd go with the Panfish. It's almost identical to the Youth outfit, but it comes with Larry Dahlberg's bass and panfish DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Scientific-Ang...7679592&sr=8-2

Just my .02.
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 03-21-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything disco said is right on, especially the handicap part. But I think since you are just getting into it I would go a inexpensively as I could. Flyfishing is more of an art thing. Sure you can catch a bunch of fish doing it, even poorly, but the more you do it the more you try for the 'perfect' cast. If you get into it, you can get much higher end equipment. Believe me it MAKES a difference. I found a closeout on a couple of 9' 7wgt rod/reel combos for 19.00 and turned a friend onto it. He was like you, just getting into it. Worked just fine for him but a little heavy for bluegill. JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

Default SA outfit on Ebay

I've seen Scientific Anglers outfits on Ebay for very low prices. I got a new 6wt 9' outfit for $38.00 without the DVd or flys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly5 View Post
    I've seen Scientific Anglers outfits on Ebay for very low prices. I got a new 6wt 9' outfit for $38.00 without the DVd or flys.
    That's a good deal. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The first time I ever heard about the Sci Anglers rod was on FAOL. One of the members (a bamboo rod builder) said he couldn't believe how well it cast. That's high praise coming from a bamboo fan.

Take the money you saved on the outfit and get a good casting DVD. Then, go find you some bluegill.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I did!

I took your advise on the SA from an earlier post. And, I bought & just received Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting DVD.

Excuse ga.crappie&breamguy, Not trying to hijack your thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HillBilly5 View Post
    I took your advise on the SA from an earlier post. And, I bought & just received Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting DVD.
    You're off to a good start. I have that DVD as well. Joan Wulff is an amazing caster. She's well into her 70's and can still outcast most men on the planet!