Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian Carp!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asian Carp!

Time to look out! I went out on the Mississippi yesterday afternoon in search of some white bass in the St. Peters area and saw something I won't forget anytime soon. I was fishing below a wing dam in about 12-15ft of water and the entire area just started to explode with noise. Unfortunately the entire area was loaded with asian carp. I have only seen them on the main channel while driving up until now. They were stacked in there like a school of hungry stripers. They were not afraid of the boat at all. We watched them come up to the surface next to the boat for an hour. What an ugly fish!! I would say that the average size was between 20-25 lbs. I was only about 6 miles from the Illinois River delta and I have heard of some people saying that they have ruined some of the fishing up there so I would have to believe that's where they came from. Has anyone north of STL on the Miss seen any of these ugly things?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Asain carp

Rattler - I thought I read where the Asian carp were released into the Mississippi River from fish farms in Arkansas back during the 93 flood. They have entered the Illinois River and I think have reached the northern portions of the Illinois. Not only are they hurting the native fish population, they are a serious threat to boaters. Several people have been injured and even knocked out their boats by these fish. I know the state of Illinois is trying to rig a barrier to keep them from entering Lake Michigan. It was reported by mistake that an Asian carp had been caught in Lake Shelbyville. Thank goodness the fish turned out to be a 32 lb. Buffalo
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen them on the Osage, MO, and Miss rivers in MO. I know they got into the Osage in 93 during the flood. They are trying to stop them from getting to the great lakes. I saw an article on the net a day or two ago where guys were running slowly in the boat on the river with bows and shooting them as they flew out of the water. Looked like a lot of fun and helps get rid of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler
    They were not afraid of the boat at all. We watched them come up to the surface next to the boat for an hour.
    You should take a club with ya next time and knock a few in the head if they where that close.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

TAE,

A .22 with some puppy chow would work quite well too!!! Ha-Ha! Just kidding. I do think I will try to tie a couple flies like the crap they were feeding on. How fun would that fly fishing be?! The only problem is that you would have to touch them ugly things afterwords. Good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I bet a fly rod would be a blast, its kind of like fishing for regular carp. Nasty touch, nasty eat, but boy are they a blast to catch.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Article on Asian carp in the Illinois river. Article from today's Pekin newspaper.
    http://www.pekintimes.com/articles/2...news/news3.txt
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

There are times below Bagnell dam where you'll snag one on just about every cast the things stink worse than a shad and slime your line worse than a catfish...what a nasty fish.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

how about a shoot gun,,,saves on the cost of clays+doing a service!
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Field and Stream Article with Photos of the Jumpers

Webmaster for: http://www.slabbuster.com and other fine sites.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast