Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: changing lower unit to another motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default changing lower unit to another motor

I have an '87 Suzuki DT150 SS, that burned a hole in a piston, plus threw a rod on that cyl. - Repairs were going to be expensive or so I was told, around $1200. I bought an '88 DT150, note, not an SS. this motor has no prop or prop shaft, due to bearing failure (lost it all in the drink) according to owner, but mechanically, power head is good, and I got it for $590. I plan to change out the lower unit from the 87 and change it over to the 88 motor. I've never done this before. Will attempt to get an impeller kit and change that while I'm in it. Beyond that, and lower unit gaskets, is there anything that I'll need to know before I get into it, i.e., shifter rod, etc. , I just want to get my boat back in the water. I've got a Clymer manual, so I'm just asking you guys from your experience what kinda tricks up your sleeve that will help me do this successfully. My wife is/was sceptical that I could do this. I'm mechanically inclined with most simple repairs. this may be stretching me a bit. My wife is not saying anything yet, but I better not have two motors laying on the ground and not one of them on the back of the boat ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed out one years ago. It was not that big of a deal, Being your going to change out the impeller I would at least check or replace the plate under the impeller as they wear and then your water pump will not have good pressure as it will with a new plate.
    Your Manual is your best friend while doing this job.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ShilohRed, I saw mention about the shift rod, so that isn't even a problem? Thats Good.